replay gain

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Ldear

Post by Ldear »

I am trying to edit my first recording. Okay, I ended up deleting my first recording because I was frustrated with the editing and when I brought the 'saved file' back up in Audacity, it just looked all spiky and odd. I figured the recording was approx. 6-1/2 minutes, so I would redo it. I hate that I am so frustrated with this whole process because I really want to do this and not have it be such a big deal. I have taken notes and watched countless videos, but still do not feel comfortable with the editing process. Truth- I have not edited anything yet. I was hoping this 'first recording' would go smoother than it did. I did the 'checker' program and it said my file was too loud. The help section in checker said to use the effect/replay gain feature in Audacity. My Audacity does not have replay gain, and no matter what I have read and tried, I cannot find how to add or install it. I have been to the add/remove plug in and the nyquist plug in installer, but I just never see replay gain come up and my volume is too loud according to checker.
I would love some 'editing for dummies' advice.
thanks so much.
I refuse to give up! :?
Linda D
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Linda,

Since you have watched the videos and read some instructions, "editing for dummies" is probably not for you anymore. Yet, you may have missed this wiki page, which gives a couple hints on where to find ReplayGain Audacity plugin. Read the entire page before doing any more clicking/copying/installing...

Spoiler alert... Installing ReplayGain is an alternative to Checker, and I recommend it as long as you know that other things (like sample rate, bitrate, number of channels, etc.) are all good. The measured volume differs slightly from Checker's, but not much, at least not enough to prefer one way over the other.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi. Yes, please be patient; it will all come together. Slowly, but surely. If you will send me the raw file I will make a video showing how I would edit it or at least part of it and I'll explain what I'm doing each step. That way you can follow along with the video on your actual file! Sometimes watching generic videos just does not do the trick. yes. Ain't science grand? Just a thought. Again, don't give up!!!! step back and take a breath. :thumbs:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Looked all spiky and weird? Is that because when you open a file, it zooms out to fit in the Audacity window?

Try opening it and hitting Ctrl-2 (or in the menus, select View / Zoom / Zoom Normal) and see if it puts it back to the way you are used to seeing it.

If your file is too loud according to Checker, then see what number it says your volume is at using Checker's Information tab. Then amplify your file by a negative number to get your volume down to 89. (If it says it's at 94.3, then amplify by -5.3 or just -5, since there's some leeway. It doesn't have to be at EXACTLY 89.0.) :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Ldear

Post by Ldear »

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/storiesandpictures_47_peretz_128kb.mp3

Phil, thank you so much for helping me. I had a busy weekend, so am just getting back to this today. Here is the raw file you asked for. I hope I did everything correctly. Let me know what else you may need from me.
thank you from Bartlett, IL!!! :P
Linda Dearman
Ldear

Post by Ldear »

tovarisch and tricia,
thank you as well!! :thumbs:
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ok Linda. Here is a short video of how I would edit your file. Actually a very nice file, not much required. You read very nicely!
[video removed because it was not very good]
EDIT: Apparently the video did not record the actual fileplaying, just my screen and voice. Kinda confusing but perhaps usable. I will work on that.
Note that I did not use Replay Gain but just used Checker to get an idea of the volume then adjusted it.
EDIT 2: the only people who can see this are those with the link.
Ldear

Post by Ldear »

Thank you very much Phil. After watching so many of your (very helpful) videos over the last month, it's awesome that you are the one personally helping me! It feels really cool to know that you do that for us newbies that need help to get going. I will forge ahead and if I have more questions, I know where to go! You rock as do all the volunteers on this forum!! :clap:
This is very helpful.
Linda Dearman
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey, wait! I just made one with your voice on it! Silly of me to forget to click that box for the first one. This one is even better! I promise. Never hesitate to ask for help, it is no trouble at all.

https://youtu.be/xcyaesb_9UY give it a voew