Help with GarageBand 10.3.4

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DavidPhillips

Post by DavidPhillips » February 13th, 2020, 10:50 am

I have submitted my test multiple times to receive the reply that it is in stereo (while my settings indicate that I’m recording in mono) and that there is noise. It sounds fine when I play it back, both on speaker and with headphones. I am using a USB lavalier mic, GarageBand version 10.3.4 and macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3. Help! :cry:

KevinS

Post by KevinS » February 13th, 2020, 11:25 am

DavidPhillips wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 10:50 am
I have submitted my test multiple times to receive the reply that it is in stereo (while my settings indicate that I’m recording in mono) and that there is noise. It sounds fine when I play it back, both on speaker and with headphones. I am using a USB lavalier mic, GarageBand version 10.3.4 and macOS Catalina Version 10.15.3. Help! :cry:
The sound quality, to me, is fine, but the recording does have to be in mono. As I don't work with GarageBand, I'm afraid I can't help in that regard.

There is a bit of shuffling sound at the opening, but I don't think that kind of thing will be a problem once you get started in earnest.

Welcome, and I hope one of our members who uses GarageBand will be able to help.

With audacity, it doesn't matter how one records---mono or stereo---because one can always export to the needed .mp3 and force mono.

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » February 14th, 2020, 11:32 am

I have the same version of GB, and I do not see any mono export option. There used to be, but it appears to been eliminated. Honestly, GB is not a good choice for long form recordings, anyway; the editing is just too cumbersome. Apparently Audacity still doesn't support Catalina (not sure - I don't use Audacity). There are some commercial apps I can point you to if you're willing to pay, such as TwistedWave.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

schrm

Post by schrm » March 1st, 2020, 10:58 am

just to add:
here is a tutorial for garageband/catalina
viewtopic.php?p=1677522#p1677522

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words/sentences are clearly missing.
thx!

en-bc: lay down your arms

de-bc: sammlung kurzer deutscher prosa
de-duo: rousseau