Audacity on Mac

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
hsl9999

Post by hsl9999 »

Now that the new version is Catalina, on the Mac, and Audacity no longer works, is there another DAW as good as and as simple to use as Audacity that is good for recording librox books.
beeber

Post by beeber »

Audacity loyalists are used to the idea of a free audio editor, but if you don't mind paying ($80), you might consider TwistedWave. I've been using it for years, because I like the interface — the feel of it — much better than Audacity. It's smooth, flexible, intuitive, good-looking, and fully compatible with Catalina.

There is one catch (aside from the price): for some reason TwistedWave has never included a "Noise Reduction" feature. So my work flow is this: (a) record in TwistedWave, (b) export to Audacity for Noise Reduction*, (b) export back to TwistedWave for all other editing. Maybe that sounds like an annoying extra step, but actually it adds not more than 60 seconds to the whole process.

Yes, it does cost if you choose to go with it, but you can try it for 30 days without paying.

* Yes, Noise Reduction still works in Audacity in Catalina. It's apparently only the recording function that is disabled.
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

doesn't GarageBand still come with the Mac OS? I used that when I had a macbook a while back. a littlw tricky to set up for LV but it worked quite well.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
zanap

Post by zanap »

I found a video describing a work-around to fix Audacity for Macs that have updated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpgzpaunHM

This worked for me!

zanap
-Zana
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Anyone having to switch to a different audio editor? If so which one?
~Kim
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Peppersnoodles93 wrote: April 1st, 2020, 10:20 am Anyone having to switch to a different audio editor? If so which one?
Well I use Reaper but it is not free. You can try it for some weeks before deciding. It's about $50 and you will get free updates for several years. I like it because it is extremely reliable, high quality, and I find it easy to use. You may have a slight problem with getting it to render to .mp3 but it does work when you download the free .mp3 plugin and make sure it's in the correct folder. There are one or two people who use Mac and are on LV who can help. (You need the 64bit version with Catalina and/or High Sierra).