Firs Chapter. "I sound like a robot. Please help!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Hello all,

I'm taking this problem to the knowledgeable folks here who know the software (and hardware) issues of recording better than I do. I have the Audacity (see what I did there?) to ask you to listen to a smidge of this first chapter and see if you can help me determine why my wonderful DPL thinks it's tinny and not good, and that I sound like a robot.

viewtopic.php?p=1674083#p1674083

I hear a little of what she is talking about, but I'm stumped as to what to do about it, and I'm hoping it's in the Audacity settings. Although I'm fully prepared to fix the problem and rerecord. "Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, grumbled Jo ..."

Thank you ever so ...

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It doesn't sound awesome, but it doesn't sound bad.

Could you please record and upload a raw recording of about 20-30 seconds - one in which you hit Record and Stop, but don't do any effects? (Feel free to cut out errors, but don't do anything else.) That way we can hear what you're starting with rather than trying to guess what you're doing.

What post-recording effects are you using, and at what settings?

I downloaded section 6 from the Topaz Story Book also, as a comparison. That one sounds a little "brighter" - a bit less muffled.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

It sounds like too much noise cleaning to me. It has that telltale hollow "window pane" echo. Your noise floor is fine, so you can easily back off the noise cleaning by 5+db. See how that sounds.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page