Principal needs/ number of readers

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Desday

Post by Desday »

[size=150]
Hello,
1. As there is a wide range of material that readers can offer, please say if there are particular sections where you don't get enough readings and would prefer more.

2. Is it in fact the case that , despite all the work that you and readers do, the number of 'identified' readers
is only roundabout 200. A friend thought it must be 200,000 !

Best wishes,

Desday
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't understand the first question. All of the projects in the "Readers Wanted" forums are open to readers (except those that are filled up already). Their book coordinators think they're important projects. :)

And as for listeners, they have a wide variety of tastes. The Book Suggestions forum lists works that people have requested. They're all important, too. :lol:

The second question: I don't know what you mean by "identified" readers. We have 9516 readers who have contributed something to the LibriVox catalog. How many of these are currently active, or have completed a solo recording (finished a whole book themselves), I do not know.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Desday

Post by Desday »

Dear TriciaD,
Thnaks very much for your trouble in replying to my message sent earlier today.
May I eplain a bit further?
1. My question about 'needs' was not intended to question the value of any paerticualr sector. I simply wondered if you have any evidnec that one sector is rather short of material and could do with more.
2. Sorry, I used the wrong word. I should have referred to the number of users ,rather than readers. Can you please help further on that understanding?

Sorry to bother you again.

Desday
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Perhaps you mean that we might not have enough of a particular genre? For example history books or mystery books or how-to books? Let me assure you this isn't the case. Readers are invited to read whatever interests them and they enjoy reading. We don't ask for anything in particular nor discourage any particular topic.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I merged your response into this thread to keep the discussion in one place. Tap the "Post Reply" button to continue in one thread rather than starting a new one each time.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What do you mean by users ? If as I think you mean people who listen, then we don't know - we don't have those sort of information, Our files are stored at Archive, who do keep some sort of record of what they call "views" but that isn't really what you are after I suspect.

Anne