Latin pronunciation help

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire » April 14th, 2007, 7:35 pm

I would like some help with Latin pronunciation. I'm recording David Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. The context of the passage is this: Hume is relating the miracles said to have been performed by the Roman emperor Vespasian. He quotes the historian Tacitus who reports the stories of Vespasian healing the blind as though it were historical fact. Hume's point is that we can't trust any reports of miracles if we don't believe those of the otherwise reliable Tacitus. Here is the passage:

"The persons, from whose authority he related the miracle, of established character for judgement and veracity, as we may well presume; eye-witnesses of the fact, and confirming their testimony, after the Flavian family was despoiled of the empire, and could no longer give any reward, as the price of a lie. Utrumque, qui interfuere, nunc quoque memorant, postquam nullum mendacio pretium. To which if we add the public nature of the facts, as related, it will appear, that no evidence can well be supposed stronger for so gross and so palpable a falsehood."

I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett » April 15th, 2007, 12:29 pm

I hope this: http://www.mediafire.com/?1lnzmgm2vyz is some help!

If in doubt, however, stick to the excellent advice to be found elsewhere - read it confidently, as though you know exactly how it ought to sound, and it will be great!

Justin

LeonMire

Post by LeonMire » April 18th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Thank you. Your pronunciation was very helpful, and I couldn't even hear the TV in the background. And by the by, I noticed the excellent quality of your recording on the last chapter of Hume's Enquiry. Thanks again!