New Computer & New headset....

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Hello my techy friends,
So I recently won a brand new computer (hp laptop 14 pc), at a work party since we were doing a bunch of giveaways. (NOT BRAGGING). But I was wondering if anyone else has one of these computers and if my techy friends here at LV have any tips for it. Also, I got a new headset to record with, which is pretty good so far. I'm planning to use it for youtube as well, and I've already chatted online with some of my friends and they've said it sounds pretty good. But say I'm not using that, does the computer I got have a good internal mic? Also, how well does audacity run on it? Anything I should know before starting? I think I'm going to buy an internal storage thingy (I forgot what they are called), but it's like an SD card or something.

Thanks in advance for any advice which is totally welcome. :D
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

ej400 wrote: January 8th, 2020, 8:13 pm Hello my techy friends,
So I recently won a brand new computer (hp laptop 14 pc), at a work party since we were doing a bunch of giveaways. (NOT BRAGGING). But I was wondering if anyone else has one of these computers and if my techy friends here at LV have any tips for it. Also, I got a new headset to record with, which is pretty good so far. I'm planning to use it for youtube as well, and I've already chatted online with some of my friends and they've said it sounds pretty good. But say I'm not using that, does the computer I got have a good internal mic? Also, how well does audacity run on it? Anything I should know before starting? I think I'm going to buy an internal storage thingy (I forgot what they are called), but it's like an SD card or something.

Thanks in advance for any advice which is totally welcome. :D
It sounds great for a student on the move. Congratulations!

The only thing I ever won at a Christmas party at work was a letter of caution in my personnel file. Oh, and a turkey with a broken leg.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

KevinS wrote: January 8th, 2020, 8:18 pm It sounds great for a student on the move. Congratulations!
The only thing I ever won at a Christmas party at work was a letter of caution in my personnel file. Oh, and a turkey with a broken leg.
Thank you Kevin. I'm sure that the Turkey leg was broken because you ate it :wink: :lol:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

ej400 wrote: January 8th, 2020, 8:13 pm So I recently won a brand new computer (hp laptop 14 pc), ... But I was wondering if anyone else has one of these computers and if my techy friends here at LV have any tips for it. Also, I got a new headset to record with, which is pretty good so far. I'm planning to use it for youtube as well, and I've already chatted online with some of my friends and they've said it sounds pretty good. But say I'm not using that, does the computer I got have a good internal mic? Also, how well does audacity run on it? Anything I should know before starting? I think I'm going to buy an internal storage thingy (I forgot what they are called), but it's like an SD card or something....
Your computer configuration is one of so many by the same manufacturer that it is nearly impossible from "hp laptop 14 pc" to say how good it is, so my general statements follow.

First off, I would invest in a monitor. A second screen will allow you to have your copy (unless you read from printouts) in a separate window from your Audacity and well visible (not to mention some allow to be turned sideways, which is very convenient for reading). Second, the built-in microphone is usually crap, don't rely on it. Not much worse than your headset, maybe, but it depends on the headset, don't it? If it does not have an SSD already (that's "solid state drive", a storage thingy you probably were thinking of), then do get one, it will make things easier. How Audacity runs on one like yours is impossible to say without knowing more of what the underlying hardware is. Install Audacity and see.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please