Submitting a recording to Audible

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » January 8th, 2020, 5:34 am

I'm nearing the end of a very long solo. I have the impression that someone is already collecting my recorded sections ready to publish them, so I've decided to try to submit the book to Audible (or an equivalent) under my own name, partly to make a little money from it, and partly to undercut people selling my (and my colleagues') work.

I couldn't see any obvious entry point into Audible from their web page. Could someone help me with details of their submission process and their requirements for recordings, please?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » January 8th, 2020, 6:07 am

I've only looked into it a little but I think this may be a helpful starting place for you: https://www.acx.com/help/narrators/200484550
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 8th, 2020, 6:14 am

That does not at all explain the process if there is no "rights holder".

I suggest searching their FAQ.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » January 8th, 2020, 7:49 am

Thank you both; I'll have to settle down and read all those details.

I'll see if I can put together some sort of summary which others here can use.

Peter

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 8th, 2020, 8:31 am

Peter, here is my unsolicited advice.

Are you ready?

Anything you record for LibriVox is a gift to the world. Let it free; don't worry about its future travels.

Now, I know your voice and talent---you're quite good---so I would say contact Audible to set you up for recording newer materials. There's money in that, I gather, and you and Audible will have control over your work.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » January 8th, 2020, 11:05 am

Kevin,

I don't think Peter is going to start recording non-PD stuff for Audible just yet. I think he was looking to cut off those who are going to "steal" Peter's LV recordings and put them on Audible. Those "publishers" usually change the narrator name and thus lie to Audible, who simply turn a blind eye to that, essentially, fraud. Of course it cannot be prosecuted because there is no crime, LV recordings are PD... (I'll stop here so not to beat that dead horse)

ETA: if Peter can work out a way for him to (a) prevent unrelated parties from benefiting without much labor and, instead, (b) reap the benefits himself, what's the harm? And by setting the precedent, Peter can help others do the same... I have thought about it more than once, but since none of my work has been used (yet), and I am too lazy to postprocess my recordings to make them acceptable by Audible, I've not made much progress... :roll:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » January 8th, 2020, 11:27 am

That's precisely it; I don't need the money. It would just be a minor bonus. But I do resent these people (I could use another word) who take the offerings that we make for the public benefit, claim them as their own, and profit from them.

Peter

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » January 8th, 2020, 11:54 am

I think it is a great idea Peter. Audible's specs are different from ours, but not hard at all to meet. Go for it!! :thumbs: At least give 'em a little competition.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
I may sit there looking all nonchalant. But underneath I'm really just loaded with chalant. .

Need Help? More sorta helpful Videos Here

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 8th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Audible normally won't accept an audiobook unless there is a print or ebook version also for sale on Amazon. To get around this you need to go through a producer with a contract to do PD works directly. That would be Spoken Realms, at spokenrealms.com. I work through them all the time (just released a title, in fact).
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 8th, 2020, 12:23 pm

I'm no saint, I assure you, but I feel that the things I record for LivriVox are not mine. What people do with them is none of my business. (it's this sort of 'clueless' attitude that keeps my blood pressure down.)

Peter Why

Post by Peter Why » January 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm

There are copies of my solo (not the same edition, of course) available on amazon, so I'm safe that way.

I just think that this is a way of fighting back against injustice; I'd be very happy to see more of our books being sold by the Librivox people involved in producing them, as well as being made available free through our site.

Peter

Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe » January 8th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Peter Why wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 5:34 am
I'm nearing the end of a very long solo. I have the impression that someone is already collecting my recorded sections ready to publish them, so I've decided to try to submit the book to Audible (or an equivalent) under my own name, partly to make a little money from it, and partly to undercut people selling my (and my colleagues') work.

I couldn't see any obvious entry point into Audible from their web page. Could someone help me with details of their submission process and their requirements for recordings, please?

Peter
Hi Peter,
You will need first to publish the written version of the book on Amazon Kindle. Go to kdp.com and download a template for that. Even if a book is not one that you have written yourself, if it’s not under copyright, (public domain), you can publish your own typed out version of it.
Once you have published the book under your own name as the rights holder of that version of the book, you can then submit an audiobook version of the book at ACX.com. They will give you their audio requirements, which include saving the files at 192kb. The other requirements are very similar to Librivox. As the rights holder and narrator of the book, you will receive 100% of the royalties, after Audible takes their cut. I’m an ACX/Audible narrator, so please feel free to message me with any questions about the process. :D
Linda :D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772