MAC naming of MP3 Export

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LauraKoskinen

Post by LauraKoskinen »

After I record in audacity I click on FILE and EXPORT AS MP3 ..... all is fine so far... then it asks me to name the file .... then I type in all of the information for the name as required by my book coordinator ... and on my MAC at least there is not sufficient space in the little box to put all of the full length of the title. The computer makes that "blooping" noise at me telling me the little naming box is full.

I have reviewed the audacity tutorial. It does discuss saving but only very generally and never mentions how many characters can go into a file name. The tutor mentions he uses a PC and his screens/pop up boxes look different from those on my mac, therefore I'm wondering if this a MAC problem and, of course, what can I do about it.

Any help for me please ??
tis

Post by tis »

I've never had that problem on my mac - but you could just save under a shorter name, and then rename the file in the finder?
[img]http://goringe.net/images/chris.png[/img]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I have the same problem, and do what tis suggests.
LauraKoskinen

Post by LauraKoskinen »

Thanks both tis and earthcalling. I'll do as suggested and it is helpful simply to know I am not the ONLY person with this problem!

laurakoskinen
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Yes, Audacity uses the "old" Mac system of limiting filenames to 32 characters.

Just save the name as something identifyable and then go to the Finder to give it the format that the specific project requires. It's a good idea also to be sussinct, as long filenames ARE problemation for some people who download files. For example, some flashplayers shorten filename when receiving transfers; if names aren't short enough, listingmay be unintelligible.

This is silly: the_rise_and_fall_of_the_third_reich__chapter43_shire_abc.mp3. This is fine: rise_and_fall_43_shire_abc.mp3 or 43_third_reich_shire_abc.mp3, depending on what would universally identify the work. Best to follow the book coordinator's lead.

It's also a good idea to establish the filename before adjusting or adding other tags through iTunes. (The Audacity tags are gaggingly restrictive. Some folks even add the poem text in the lyrics field in iTunes!)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]