ADVAIR

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 23rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Perhaps there is no help for this.

I foolishly (?) restarted my newish prescription of ADVAIR to help with my breathing and, don't you know it, my hoarseness is coming back. And this with just one dose! (I had a kind of feeling about this when I lost my voice a couple of weeks ago.)

I suppose my question, if I have one, is to ask if others have experienced this?

By the way, one of the common side effects of ADVAIR is, guess. Common side effects of ADVAIR HFA include:
throat irritation and hoarseness and voice changes.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 23rd, 2019, 8:41 pm

Kevin, the internet and our forum is not a place to seek medical advice.

Surely, there is a doctor behind that prescription. Make a phone call.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 23rd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Availle wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 8:41 pm
Kevin, the internet and our forum is not a place to seek medical advice.

Surely, there is a doctor behind that prescription. Make a phone call.
Not advice really. Curiosity more than anything. I do appreciate your concern, however.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 23rd, 2019, 9:16 pm

If the post disturbs you, perhaps it might be placed in the off topic discussion thread.

msfry

Post by msfry » December 25th, 2019, 8:04 am

I don't perceive Kevin's post as seeking medical advice--just reaching out to other LV friends for a little sympathy. As I haven't experienced it, Kevin, I can't help you with that. However, being strangely unable to stop myself, I recently recorded a chapter while hoarse, and am curious if anyone knows how I can salvage it with Audacity Effects. Otherwise, I shall have to re-record.

Perhaps it would be better to post in Off-topic sometimes, though this seems like an LV topic to me. I don't know how many fellow LV'ers check out the Off Topic forum. I don't.

Good luck with your breathing issues, Kevin, and Merry Christmas. You have a lot more recording to do in the New Year, I hope.
Michele Fry, CC
"The joy of a mind made up is a potent cordial." ~ Henry Van Dyke
Looking for contributions to these themes:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #27 - SPORTS

DACSoft

Post by DACSoft » December 25th, 2019, 8:26 am

Actually, I'm glad Kevin posted. I would never have thought to check, or ask my doctor, if a new med could affect my voice and recording for LV. But this discussion caused a "lightbulb" moment for me, and I'll be checking in the future. :)

Thanks Kevin,
Don

Merry Christmas!

loon

Post by loon » December 25th, 2019, 7:11 pm

My voice also changed for the worse when I started Advair. In my case I found after a few months practice with my “new” vocal cords I started to get back in control (so maybe be patient).

Being able to climb a few flights of stairs without wheezing makes it all worthwhile.

And - my asthma doc knows that at least some people will complain about such things.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

schrm

Post by schrm » December 26th, 2019, 4:49 am

hoarseness and a permanent irritation of the throat /need to cough are also very common side effects of blood-pressure meds.
so i know it very well.
i sort of had to get used to them, take the meds regularly, trying to use my voice as usual - then i would get used to it.
(important aspect: just ignore it and get through it)
after some days of forgetting to take the pills, everything started from anew. but it got better within a few days.

on a sidenote: now i have other meds with similar side effects, but - what i feel - they are by far not as severe!
i recommend asking your doctor, if there are alternatives.
sometimes, even similar drugs with similar side effects are way more compatible with life (and reading, and my body, seems to be)!

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words/sentences are clearly missing.
thx!

en-bc: lay down your arms

de-bc: sammlung kurzer deutscher prosa
de-duo: rousseau

ej400

Post by ej400 » December 26th, 2019, 10:42 am

This post seems a little Off Topic, but why not? I mean, we give advice on how to cure a sore throat right? Isn't that medical?

Anyway, Kevin, maybe try using the same things we've givin you directions about on how to help a sore throat. I know it's not that, but it sometimes causes hoarseness as well. Hopefully, this doesn't last long and you can record perfectly without any of these side-affects.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » December 26th, 2019, 11:46 am

Thanks very much for all these replies. I no longer feel so alone with my dilemma.

Penumbra

Post by Penumbra » December 26th, 2019, 12:39 pm

msfry wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 8:04 am
I recently recorded a chapter while hoarse, and am curious if anyone knows how I can salvage it with Audacity Effects.
I'd say it depends on how hoarse and what you would find acceptable. I think there's no chance of making it sound like your normal voice. I know, bummer. You can adjust the loudness, you can shift the pitch a little bit, you can even fiddle with the tempo, but you'll never match the timbre.
Tom Penn

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » December 26th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I recently recorded a chapter while hoarse, and am curious if anyone knows how I can salvage it with Audacity Effects. Otherwise, I shall have to re-record.
Please don't automatically assign your 'hoarse' recording to the reject pile. While it is probably not possible to massage it with effects to make it sound like your normally mellifluous self, that may not be necessary. It is still your voice and may be just fine, just with a bit of added roughness and texture. In other words, it is probably perfectly understandable just not up to what you think you should sound like. Run a bit of it by a few others and get their opinion. :D (Bernice the Xmas banana approves of this message) Image
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy

At any moment the urge to sing the Lion Sleeps Tonight is just a whim away..

These Tutorial Videos Certified Virus Free !!

msfry

Post by msfry » December 27th, 2019, 12:10 pm

philchenevert wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 2:07 pm
I recently recorded a chapter while hoarse, and am curious if anyone knows how I can salvage it with Audacity Effects. Otherwise, I shall have to re-record.
Please don't automatically assign your 'hoarse' recording to the reject pile. While it is probably not possible to massage it with effects to make it sound like your normally mellifluous self, that may not be necessary. It is still your voice and may be just fine, just with a bit of added roughness and texture. In other words, it is probably perfectly understandable just not up to what you think you should sound like. Run a bit of it by a few others and get their opinion. :D (Bernice the Xmas banana approves of this message) Image
Thanks, Phil, I did re-record it. It was "understandable" and actually one of my better interpretations, but because it was a solo, I did penance and let it go. I should be able to refrain from recording while hoarse.
I had to look up mellifluous. I like the term, and took it as a compliment. :P

Bernice came through as an X in a box. Somehow, I am not able to see most of your lovely emoticons using my Edge browser. I should try to see how it renders in Chrome.
Michele Fry, CC
"The joy of a mind made up is a potent cordial." ~ Henry Van Dyke
Looking for contributions to these themes:
Love Stories #2
Dreams Collection #1
Coffee Break Collection #27 - SPORTS