[SOLVED] Need Help with Audacity Volume

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 » December 9th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Hello all,
The feedback on the last couple recordings I have made suggests that the volume was too low. I have the recording volume set at 95 db, which should be above the expected the range. However, a very patient PL told me it plays much lower, only 73.7 db. I'm not sure what might be causing these discrepancies or what I can do to fix them. I wasn't have this problem before, either. Up until this point I have been recordings at 89 db with no issues with volume.
Here is an example of one the recordings in question:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/cobwebsfromalibrarycorner_33_bangs_128kb.mp3
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rachel
Rachel Marie

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 9th, 2019, 3:31 pm

What mic are you using?

There's nowhere to set the volume in Audacity "to 95 dB". The mic slider is a percentage, not a dB scale. First, move that slider all the way up to 100%.

Have you gone into Windows/OS to increase the input volume there?
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » December 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm

rmd2001 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Hello all,
The feedback on the last couple recordings I have made suggests that the volume was too low. I have the recording volume set at 95 db, which should be above the expected the range. However, a very patient PL told me it plays much lower, only 73.7 db. I'm not sure what might be causing these discrepancies or what I can do to fix them. I wasn't have this problem before, either. Up until this point I have been recordings at 89 db with no issues with volume.
Thanks,
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

The recording of the section 33 has the volume of 93.1 dB (at least as reported by the Checker), which is at least 4 dB above our target of 89 dB. Get yourself the Checker and use it. Do not rely on the slider in Audacity because your position relative to the microphone will also factor in. Sometimes, if you have more than one microphone, and a different one (like your laptop's built-in one) is accidentally selected, the volume can be very different from what you usually produce.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » December 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Ah! Sorry - I didn't download and check the file. :oops:
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Psychological Warfare: HERE

rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 » December 9th, 2019, 7:00 pm

TriciaG wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 3:31 pm
What mic are you using?

There's nowhere to set the volume in Audacity "to 95 dB". The mic slider is a percentage, not a dB scale. First, move that slider all the way up to 100%.

Have you gone into Windows/OS to increase the input volume there?
You are correct. I apologize. I meant it was set to 95%
Rachel Marie

rmd2001

Post by rmd2001 » December 9th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone! I think I worked out the problem. My computer wasn't allowing me to download the Checker, but I was finally able to do so. I used the amplification to lower the volume to 89.
Rachel Marie

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » December 10th, 2019, 1:21 am

tovarisch wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm
rmd2001 wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Hello all,
Thanks,
Rachel
Hi Rachel,

The recording of the section 33 has the volume of 93.1 dB (at least as reported by the Checker), which is at least 4 dB above our target of 89 dB. Get yourself the Checker and use it. Do not rely on the slider in Audacity because your position relative to the microphone will also factor in. Sometimes, if you have more than one microphone, and a different one (like your laptop's built-in one) is accidentally selected, the volume can be very different from what you usually produce.
Just to clear up a bit... By the time you checked the file, a later one had been uploaded with a higher volume- which overwrote the previous lower dB file.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this! With not having experience in recording and operating Audacity myself, I run into issues while PLing which I have no idea how to solve! (What a compliment, Rachel. Thanks! :9:)
~Rosebud