ReplayGain

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

Hi All,
I have just installed Audacity onto my new computer, and I can't seem to find "Replay/Gain" anywhere. On my older computer, the Audacity version is 2.1.2; on my new computer, it's 2.3.3. Pretty much everything I've looked at tells me how to USE it, but not where to find it in the new version, or if it even still exists by that name. Can anybody help (in layman's terms!)?
Thanks,
Laura

P.S. Shouldn't make a difference, but the new computer is a large laptop-- I'm going to be traveling to another state for several months, and did not want to lug my desktop back & forth.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It isn't natively installed; you have to download it, then enable it.

Instructions for installing and using it are on this page: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
rieyrules

Post by rieyrules »

Thank you Tricia. I felt like I was on the brink of installing it several times, but kept hitting a roadblock. Finally, in desperation, I had to ask my husband for help. Within about 5 minutes, he had it installed and ready to go! Don't know whether to laugh or cry! But I am very grateful! :clap:
Laura
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Thank you for posting your troubles with Replay Gain Laura. I have had similar problems installing it on a new computer and after walking through it with you and Tricia and our wiki, will use my frustrations to make a new video on installing it. It is apparently important for me to read ALL the directions. Who would have thought of that! But anyway, it is now on my Audacity too after many months absence. :thumbs: Image

(I need to round up the film crew and get the $4.3 million funding needed for the new video which will be shot in Spain, but it will come and hopefully help others.)
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

philchenevert wrote: December 7th, 2019, 9:00 am Thank you for posting your troubles with Replay Gain Laura. I have had similar problems installing it on a new computer and after walking through it with you and Tricia and our wiki, will use my frustrations to make a new video on installing it. It is apparently important for me to read ALL the directions. Who would have thought of that! But anyway, it is now on my Audacity too after many months absence. :thumbs: Image

(I need to round up the film crew and get the $4.3 million funding needed for the new video which will be shot in Spain, but it will come and hopefully help others.)
What a great idea for a video! It's such a great tool, and I use it all the time. But I don't often recommend it for newbies, just because installing it can be a pain. This will be a great help! I wait with eager anticipation!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Mighty Felix, Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Uz900RNos&feature=youtu.be

Done with loving care and not much professionalism, but it is done. and under budget too! Please give my our feedback if I missed anything. Oh, and after finishing I realized I should have warned the viewers about amplifying an entire track and what it does to the noise level. Oh well. :? :?
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

mightyfelix wrote: December 7th, 2019, 10:07 am But I don't often recommend it for newbies, just because installing it can be a pain.
No "pain", no ReplayGain

Sorry- the devil made me do it.
Hopefully it made you smile a little. :lol:
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

No "pain", no ReplayGain
Ouch! :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DaleInTexas wrote: December 7th, 2019, 12:51 pm
mightyfelix wrote: December 7th, 2019, 10:07 am But I don't often recommend it for newbies, just because installing it can be a pain.
No "pain", no ReplayGain

Sorry- the devil made me do it.
Hopefully it made you smile a little. :lol:
Dale
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

philchenevert wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:19 am Mighty Felix, Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Uz900RNos&feature=youtu.be

Done with loving care and not much professionalism, but it is done. and under budget too! Please give my our feedback if I missed anything. Oh, and after finishing I realized I should have warned the viewers about amplifying an entire track and what it does to the noise level. Oh well. :? :?
Thanks, Phil! Looks great!

Yes, a warning about amplifying noise might be nice. I think most of the people who check one-minute tests are good about providing that warning, though. So I think we're covered there. The other warning I like to give about using ReplayGain's Normalize function is the possibility of clipping. Still, this is very good as a tutorial on installation, which is the first hurdle. Thanks so much!

Will you be adding this link to the wiki page with your other videos? I'm sure I'll be referring to it often.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I hope it is there now. I forget which page that is and sometimes put things on the wrong site. silly me.
prosengine

Post by prosengine »

philchenevert, that video was exactly what I needed, thanks a ton kind sir. :clap:

Though for me, ReplayGain showed up in the "Analyze" tab and not the "Effects" tab for some reason when I enable the Plug In in Audacity.
The kicker here is that the name still doesn't show on on my "Effects" list, but the plug in works, so I guess it's fine for now.

Just wanted to let anyone else know that ReplayGain may be hiding in the "Analyze" tab, so don't go bashing keyboards yet when you follow all the steps & it doesn't work.
Kirill Demyanenko

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
~Margaret Mead
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I wish it were in my analyze tab. That makes the most sense - you're analyzing the volume of the file!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: December 7th, 2019, 3:57 pm I wish it were in my analyze tab. That makes the most sense - you're analyzing the volume of the file!
I still don't understand what it does, though I use it all the time. Does it analyze the relative values of volume? Haha! I just do what it tells me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It measures the perceived volume and suggests a number to use to amplify to get it close to 89 dB. (Although I've found it to always return a slightly lower number. Maybe it's aiming for 88 dB rather than 89.)