Recording Equipment

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tomewing

Post by tomewing »

I'm a Pler. Want to read. All in preparation for recording my recent novel on Amazon. New to this. I'll need a good mike. Editing equipment. Not interested in low-balling this. Willing to pay $200-300. Want to do a good job for LV. Spent decades on my novel. Hope I'm making sense. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Don't know.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Tom,

You can get a reasonably good mic for $50, a USB condenser. Samson makes a couple in that range, I believe, CAD does too, even Blue. You can also find them second-hand (Craigslist, ebay). And that will allow you to start, and think about everything else that plays its part in recording - the room (which may need to be treated), the place (ditto). Since you're PLing, you already have a set of headphones, right? For editing you don't really need any extra equipment - you got your headphones and the computer already.

Librivox is a very forgiving listening community; you don't need an expensive setup to deliver content that will be appreciated. Some of us here started with a built-in mic, their Macbook, and are still doing fine, I am sure.

Also, search the forums, this has come up quite a few times in the past few years, and folks have talked about their setups, we even have a couple collections demo-ing microphones, etc. (search the catalog for "microphone"). HTH
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

It’s great that you want to begin recording! I’m still in ‘PL only’ mode. :wink:

I’m wondering, though, if LV will accept your novel... Is it PD? Or is there a difference if you’re the author??
~Rosebud
schrm

Post by schrm »

when you want something you can use further, something like the focusrite scarlett bundle (there should be studio kits for rhode and beyerdynamics, too), or another combination of a soundinterface + microphone could do the trick.
with microphones, i am interested in a lewitt...
but that are microphones, where you need a (small) interface.
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

RSlabaugh wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:28 am It’s great that you want to begin recording! I’m still in ‘PL only’ mode. :wink:

I’m wondering, though, if LV will accept your novel... Is it PD? Or is there a difference if you’re the author??
we don't accept self written stories/books, no.
but there are other ways possible to release them...
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:38 am
RSlabaugh wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:28 am It’s great that you want to begin recording! I’m still in ‘PL only’ mode. :wink:

we don't accept self written stories/books, no.
but there are other ways possible to release them...
One can read his or her own novel if they are 111-years-old or so. It depends on when one first published the work. (Wink.)
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:47 am
One can read his or her own novel if they are 111-years-old or so. It depends on when one first published the work. (Wink.)
*not void for europeans, or they are ghouls/ghosts/vampires for 111 years?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

[fun modus off]
this question is part of our faq:
I wrote an unpublished book! Can LibriVox record it?
Unfortunately, no. We are focused on producing audio recordings of published public domain books. However, we encourage you to publish an audio version over at http://www.podiobooks.com - they specialize in this. And if you hang out on the forums here, and do some recordings, you might find some willing volunteers to help you record yours too.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=219
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

schrm wrote: October 26th, 2019, 9:25 am
KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 7:47 am
*not void for europeans, or they are ghouls/ghosts/vampires for 111 years?
[fun mode back on]

I assume all vampires are European, and how would the EU classify someone who is undead?
schrm

Post by schrm »

KevinS wrote: October 26th, 2019, 9:34 am
[fun mode back on]

I assume all vampires are European, and how would the EU classify someone who is undead?
[fun mode back off]
everyone can record and upload on archive, though.

[fun mode back on]
well, technically, vampires died? and they fall to ashes, when applying too less sunblocker, i read.
to be undead means, to be an after-death special unicorn?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275