Apple recording app help!!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 21st, 2019, 11:26 am

This is not for me! I have a reader who has an Apple computer, and he just upgraded to the latest OS which Audacity does not use. He is looking for another recording program to use instead of Audacity, at least until Audacity is supported by the new OS.

Here is his post...
I have an iMac Apple computer. Yesterday I was offered the opportunity to upgrade my operating system from Mojave to Catalina (with a host of wonderful new benefits) and I did so.

I use Audacity to do my recording and have become very familiar with it and I have a good quality external microphone. Yesterday, after upgrading my OS to Catalina I undertook to record Chapter 0 of No Quarter and found that Audacity couldn't hear me. All I got when I spoke was a straight line; silence. I decided to trash the version of Audacity I have been using and download Audacity again, hoping that would solve the problem. When I went to Audacity.com and was reviewing things there I found a statement (in red) that specifically states that Audacity does not work with Apple's new Catalina operating system.

This morning I contacted Apple Support to see how I might go back to the Mojave operating system. I was told that the only way I could do that is to have first backed everything up on an external hard drive BEFORE installing Catalina. As I have not done that, there is apparently no way I can go back to the Mojave OS and therefore no way I can continue to use Audacity unless Audacity upgrades for use with Catalina. There may be other Apple Mac people who use Audacity that may be falling into the same trap. If you know of any way they could be warned, I recommend that you do it.

Is there any other recording app that you know of that I might check out?
Any ideas?
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."

KevinS

Post by KevinS » October 21st, 2019, 12:03 pm

I like finding things, even if I don't understand a word of it.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=107162
"E agora, José?"

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen » October 22nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

Thanks Kevin! I have passed the link on to the reader.
Ann

"Qui res mundi vellet scire linguam Latinam cognoscat."