Advice needed about Google Chromebook Recorders

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Hi everyone. :)
I have a question. I cannot get Audacity on my Google Chromebook, so I am wondering, what recorder do I use?
Thanks in advance for the advice!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Audacity tells us this. Not that I understand a word of it. (Maybe you've already seen this?)

Can I run Audacity on a Chromebook laptop?

You cannot run Audacity on a Chromebook because Audacity does not support Chrome OS.

However as Chrome OS is based on Linux it is fairly easy to install a Chrome version of Linux Ubuntu on your Chromebook.

You can then install the Audacity package from Ubuntu's repository using Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center, or compile Audacity yourself from our source code.

Be aware that the repository versions of Audacity 2.0.6 supplied with Ubuntu 15.04 and 15.10 are built with a version 3 release of wxWidgets that 2.0.6 did not support. For Ubuntu 15.04 or 15.10 you can install a recommendable PPA of Audacity 2.1.0 or later from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+archive/ubuntu/audacity. Uninstall any repository version of Audacity you installed before installing one of these PPA builds.

Alternatively you can install the WINE compatibility layer and run the official Windows version of Audacity on Ubuntu. Note that Audacity may run slower under WINE than a native Linux build of Audacity. WINE should work fine on Intel Chromebooks, but will not run on ARM Chromebooks, such as the Samsung Series 3 Chromebook.
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Hi KevinS. :) Thanks so much for the advice and tips. I will have sound up and running by tomorrow!
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I use a chromebook... however I don't record or upload or use it for librivox except for visiting the website and putting in claims etc. So I've looked into it:

You can't use your chromebook for audacity specifically. It won't download it. You cannot download a lot of other "apps", unless they are through the play store. Everything you can download is in the play store. That's what I've learned. There are a couple of recording apps and things there, but there's no real editing type of app there unfortunately. :( I wish I could help you out and show you something that works, but unfortunately that's not the case. The most I can recommend, or ask, is if you have a windows or mac.

Hope you find something that works, and if you need some advice for that we're here too. :D <smile>
Kristine1990

Post by Kristine1990 »

Hi Elijah. Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)
I'm excited to share I will be getting a Windows laptop next week, so recording begins then. :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

Kristine1990 wrote: October 21st, 2019, 2:44 pm Hi Elijah. Thanks for taking the time to answer. :)
I'm excited to share I will be getting a Windows laptop next week, so recording begins then. :D
Oh cool. I'm glad you found something! :D <smile>