Assigning a reader

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I missed my regular Silly Question Friday. My apologies to all amused by them. (Anyone? Anyone?)

Here we go, one day late!

When we assign a reader, we type in the first letter of the reader`s `name` and that`s the end of it, right? For my name, for instance, it doesn't speed things up to type in 'Ke.' We must scroll through the whole list, right?

It's not a big hassle, of course. I'm more interested than anything else. A 'fix' to this would be nice, however.

Next week's silly question, if I can wait that long, is about keyboards!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

For me it depends on the day (and how fast I can type). Some days if I can type really fast, I can get in 3 or 4 letters and it still shows me the list, which is much shorter than just one letter. Other days I can only get in one letter. It may not depend on typing speed, but yes it can be challenging at some points. I guess what is important is that it gets done though.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I consider this my 'game of chance' on LV. Never know what will happen. This must be just another added feature of LibriVox to keep life interesting for BCs. Kinda like spice for the gumbo. :roll:

EDIT: and y es Kevin I did miss your normal Friday question. But I just sulked for a bit and got over it.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can copy/paste the user name in, which will bring up a lot shorter list. Just make sure not to paste in any spaces by accident. :)

You can add letters if you type too slow. So if you only got the K in, you can then add the EV and it'll shorten the list down.

Sometimes the list just kinda disappears. Then you fiddle with it - adding and removing letters - until it shows again. :roll:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you all for your responses.

I am more and more convinced that computers work better when I wear my tin foil hat.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I was convinced that this glitch was only a problem with my computer! :shock: It used to work perfectly for me, pop up a new list with each added letter, but now it won't. I really thought it was just me! :lol:

I've discovered, though, that you don't have to start typing at the beginning of the name. Any combination of letters in the right order will make the name pop up. So, since I can usually manage three or four letters at once, I'll try to find a combination of letters in the name that I think is probably rare and type in just those letters. For instance, if I want to assign a section to, say, Elizabby, I type "zabb". Since those exact letters in that combination is rare, I think she's the only one that shows up. Or for you, Kevin, I'd probably type "vins". You get a much shorter list, probably, than if you typed "kev".
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:53 pm I was convinced that this glitch was only a problem with my computer! :shock: It used to work perfectly for me, pop up a new list with each added letter, but now it won't. I really thought it was just me! :lol:

I've discovered, though, that you don't have to start typing at the beginning of the name. Any combination of letters in the right order will make the name pop up. So, since I can usually manage three or four letters at once, I'll try to find a combination of letters in the name that I think is probably rare and type in just those letters. For instance, if I want to assign a section to, say, Elizabby, I type "zabb". Since those exact letters in that combination is rare, I think she's the only one that shows up. Or for you, Kevin, I'd probably type "vins". You get a much shorter list, probably, than if you typed "kev".
I like vins. How do I change my moniker? (Wink.)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

mightyfelix wrote: October 6th, 2019, 3:53 pm I'll try to find a combination of letters in the name that I think is probably rare and type in just those letters. For instance, if I want to assign a section to, say, Elizabby, I type "zabb". Since those exact letters in that combination is rare, I think she's the only one that shows up. Or for you, Kevin, I'd probably type "vins". You get a much shorter list, probably, than if you typed "kev".
I do this too! I figure the more unique, the shorter the list, so:
verq - for silverqill
lol - for dlolso
gy - for Algy Pug (there are not many users with spaces in their names, so this is a good character if the username has one)

and yes, I use "zab" for myself!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I always use this way for our catalogue search but had never thought of using it in assigning readers - thank you.

Anne