Efficiencies

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've been doing more PLing recently and am trying to develop some kind of protocol for keeping everything organized and neat.

One thing I assume one has to do is download the file to be PLed in order to run the Checker. There is no reason to keep this file on one's hard drive once the 'checking' is done, is there?

I just have to slow down and make sure I delete the file immediately or I'll never find it again. (Yeah, I'm that messy. Don't trust me with any launch codes.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I download all files I need to PL because I listen to them on my computer in VLC Media Player. (Technically, if you're listening to it "online", you are still downloading it; it's just saved in a temp folder rather than a more accessible one.)

I like this way also, because then I can see what files I have to PL rather than going into each project and finding them when I have time to listen. And also, I can listen to one file after another rather than having to click on each one when the previous one ends. (I still have to check the end silences, of course.)

As for not finding them, I have a LibriVox folder that I have my recording project files in (in separate sub-folders). I download files to PL into that folder, not in a sub-folder, so they're easily accessible.

When I'm done PL'ing a section, I delete it.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

TriciaG wrote: October 2nd, 2019, 4:52 pm I download all files I need to PL because I listen to them on my computer in VLC Media Player. (Technically, if you're listening to it "online", you are still downloading it; it's just saved in a temp folder rather than a more accessible one.)

I like this way also, because then I can see what files I have to PL rather than going into each project and finding them when I have time to listen. And also, I can listen to one file after another rather than having to click on each one when the previous one ends. (I still have to check the end silences, of course.)

As for not finding them, I have a LibriVox folder that I have my recording project files in (in separate sub-folders). I download files to PL into that folder, not in a sub-folder, so they're easily accessible.

When I'm done PL'ing a section, I delete it.
All good points!

I bet you keep your pantry in order, too!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Nope. It's a mess.

My computer is organized; that's about it. :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Sounds similar to what I do... I have a LibriVox folder where I move all checker approved files. (Otherwise they don’t make it that far!) Then I have a sub-folder for each DPL project where I move the PL OK files. This way I can check progress without going online. I usually also have a sub-folder with ‘PL note’ files in case I want to compare later. As a project gets completed, I delete the entire sub-folder belonging to that project.

But of course, all this only works when I’m home and have access to the laptop. :lol:
~Rosebud