Book missing title page

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

The next book I would like to record is The Sign at Six by Stewart Edward White. Gutenberg says it is PD, but the file does not contain the title page or say anything about when their version was published. His Wiki page says the book was published in 1912. The new projects template wants me to fill in the publication date. Should I use 1912? Leave it blank? Do something else?
Tom Penn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd say leave it blank.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Tom,

This book, The Sign at Six, was produced by Distributed Proofreaders back in 2005. DP does have the page images which I can access. The title page and copyright page images are included. The copyright page reads as follows:

Copyright 1912
The Bobbs-Merrill Company

There are a number of scansets at The Internet Archive, none of which have a title page matching the image used for the project (it appears the Project Manager scanned a personal copy), but all the TIA versions show 1912 as the copyright date. (Also none of the title page images show a "publication" date, so you should use the copyright date (IMHO)).

I can get you the images if you need them.

Hope this helps,
Don (a DP project manager)
Last edited by DACSoft on September 19th, 2019, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, that works. :) It helps to have someone on the inside! :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

Thanks, Don, for the info. I'll use one of the TIA copies as my source. I find Gutenberg a little easier to work with, but I downloaded a PDF from TIA that will do.
Tom Penn
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just to explain - we trust PG to have exhibited due diligence - so if they say the book is PD you can use it , it doesn't need to show a scanned title page
Don will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the ones added earlier do not display things like covers and front pages.

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

You can just use the PG source and put 1912 in as the copyright date. :)
Jo
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

The eight scans at TIA all have a 1912 copyright date, so I'm confident that is the version PG used.

A comment about the book at Biblio says
Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1912. [Reprint Edition] Olive cloth. Originally appeared in 3 parts in Oct. 1910, as "The City of Dread" in The Popular Magazine.
Not to beat a dead horse, but does that mean the original publicaton date should be listed as 1910? I'm not clear on what those dates are used for in the new project template.
Tom Penn
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Penumbra wrote: September 20th, 2019, 9:15 am The eight scans at TIA all have a 1912 copyright date, so I'm confident that is the version PG used.

A comment about the book at Biblio says
Indianapolis: Bobbs-Merrill, 1912. [Reprint Edition] Olive cloth. Originally appeared in 3 parts in Oct. 1910, as "The City of Dread" in The Popular Magazine.
Not to beat a dead horse, but does that mean the original publicaton date should be listed as 1910? I'm not clear on what those dates are used for in the new project template.
I’d say the “publication date” refers to the copy you’re reading from, Tom. If you were reading from scans of the magazine serialization you’d use “1910.”

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

k5hsj wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 10:42 am I’d say the “publication date” refers to the copy you’re reading from, Tom. If you were reading from scans of the magazine serialization you’d use “1910.”
I agree. There are two dates called for in the template generator. One is
Copyright year of the edition to be used for the recording
Clear enough. The other is
Original year of publication
It was the word "original" that threw me. Original year of publication of this edition, or of the work in any form? Definitely overthinking it, particularly since all I have is a copyright date, and not even that for the PG version.

Anyway, I've made my choice and moved on. Thanks to everyone who chipped in.
Tom Penn