Audacity already running error [Mac]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I use the Audacity app for recording. It has been working well until now, when I click on the Audacity icon, I get an error message to the effect that "Audacity is already running . . " and that I shouldn't (and can't) run another version of Audacity at the same time. I have found that others have had this problem and I have tried various solutions, but none have worked so far. I use an iMac, OS Mojave, version 10.14.6. I have trashed everything I can find related to Audacity and then emptied the trash and then reinstalled Audacity and I STILL get this "already running" error message. Any ideas??
Russ Bruno
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Dumb question: have you tried rebooting/restarting the computer?

I could give you something to try on Windows, but I'm clueless with Macs.

EDIT: My other suggestion might be to ask on the Audacity forum: https://forum.audacityteam.org/
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
loon

Post by loon »

If Audacity is running you should see an icon for it in the Dock at the bottom of your screen. If there is a start up button for Audacity there should be dot near the icon if it is already running. In either case if you click the icon you should get the Audacity menu — so trundle your cursor up to tje top of the screen and request a new window. I don’t have a Mac in front of me right now but I believe it would be
File
New Window

That should work (I hope).
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Foon

Post by Foon »

Another thing to try when you get this error, is going into Activity Monitor and (force) closing the Audacity process you find there.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Go to the Apple logo sign at top left of screen and click on "FORCE QUIT." If Audacity comes up in the list click on it and force quit. The problem with Audacity is that it has you have to quit it each time and not just close it on the red button.

Also, have you just installed OS Mojave? This could be an incompatibility problem, and you may need to go back to High Sierra, although that's very difficult to go down to a previous OS. You may then ned to consult Apple.

You could of course download and use a different DAW such as Reaper, which is very good. You can run it free for several weeks or even months before you have to decide to keep it and pay about $50 for lifetime use.