That late night, intimate radio voice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm

How do some of you do it? Do you wear velvet?

There's a secret, right?

I'm thinking that I should speak softly and close to the mic. Is that it?

Don't ask me why this is important to me.
E agora, José?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16707
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: In My Happy Place By De Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » August 30th, 2019, 3:29 pm

I record wearing my favorite velvet onesie of Elmo with a hood of course, mirror sunglasses and my feet immersed in a bucket of warm tapioca pudding. That gets me in the mood to be soft and smooth as buttermilk. Doesn't work of course, but that's what I do.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
I was addicted to the hokey pokey but I turned myself around .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 3:41 pm

philchenevert wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:29 pm
I record wearing my favorite velvet onesie of Elmo with a hood of course, mirror sunglasses and my feet immersed in a bucket of warm tapioca pudding. That gets me in the mood to be soft and smooth as buttermilk. Doesn't work of course, but that's what I do.
Large or small pearls of tapioca?
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which doesn't mean we can't joke about it.
E agora, José?

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 16707
Joined: October 17th, 2010, 9:23 pm
Location: In My Happy Place By De Bayou
Contact:

Post by philchenevert » August 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm

KevinS wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which doesn't mean we can't joke about it.
Which of our performers in particular do you find the best in this regard? It would help for a link to what you are talking about. I know about late night, velvety DJs and like that but always assumed we have the voice we have. It is true that speaking softer and closer to the mic produces a more intimate sound and actually whispering sound good to me. But my voice is nothing like that and I always revert to what comes naturally which is animated but a bit strident to my ears. To sum it up, I don't know.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
I was addicted to the hokey pokey but I turned myself around .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm

philchenevert wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:46 pm
KevinS wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Darn it, Phil, I serious.

Which doesn't mean we can't joke about it.
Which of our performers in particular do you find the best in this regard? It would help for a link to what you are talking about. I know about late night, velvety DJs and like that but always assumed we have the voice we have. It is true that speaking softer and closer to the mic produces a more intimate sound and actually whispering sound good to me. But my voice is nothing like that and I always revert to what comes naturally which is animated but a bit strident to my ears. To sum it up, I don't know.
I hate to point out anyone in particular without their permission, but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
E agora, José?

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 3:53 pm

And what I'm getting at isn't necessarily a pleasant voice.

Did you ever watch the great show Tom Snyder did (in clouds of cigarette smoke)?

It's a hard quality to describe but it has 'immediacy.'
E agora, José?

eakahn
Posts: 3
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:56 pm

Post by eakahn » August 30th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Could it be proximity effect?

You basically "eat the mic" - get real close to the microphone. Works better with some mics (and voices) than others.

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 4:55 pm

eakahn wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Could it be proximity effect?

You basically "eat the mic" - get real close to the microphone. Works better with some mics (and voices) than others.
I don't know.

I don't want to discount the talent factor, but some mics are better than others, I suppose.
E agora, José?

loon
Posts: 502
Joined: December 31st, 2016, 9:14 pm
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota

Post by loon » August 30th, 2019, 5:41 pm

eakahn wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Could it be proximity effect?

You basically "eat the mic" - get real close to the microphone. Works better with some mics (and voices) than others.
Proximity effect works with directional mics. As for the ‘some voices’ part, some of us (raises hand) have voices that sound like a lawnmower running through a patch of gravel.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

DaleInTexas
Posts: 151
Joined: August 15th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Location: West of Cowtown, Texas
Contact:

Post by DaleInTexas » August 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm

KevinS wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm
... but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
LoL- I'm already married Kevin.. So it obviously isn't me. :lol:
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 30th, 2019, 6:22 pm

DaleInTexas wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 6:06 pm
KevinS wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:50 pm
... but we have one volunteer whose voice drives me to thoughts of matrimony.
LoL- I'm already married Kevin.. So it obviously isn't me. :lol:
Dale
LOL!
E agora, José?

schrm
Posts: 1542
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Location: Austria

Post by schrm » August 31st, 2019, 7:29 am

i don't think i have that a late night radio voice and feel but i heard a story: once upon a time there was the wolf and the seven young goats...
long story short, in the german version the wolf eats chalk to soften his voice (i read on wikipedia, you all think he ate honey to do so)

/reader/12275


wunderwelten viewtopic.php?f=60&t=70793
sammlung prosa viewtopic.php?f=60&t=71431

sing "The First Nowell" viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75979

KevinS
Posts: 2951
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 31st, 2019, 7:52 am

schrm wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 7:29 am
i don't think i have that a late night radio voice and feel but i heard a story: once upon a time there was the wolf and the seven young goats...
long story short, in the german version the wolf eats chalk to soften his voice (i read on wikipedia, you all think he ate honey to do so)
Hahaha! Which would you eat? I'll go with honey in tea!
E agora, José?

sjmarky
Posts: 2459
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » August 31st, 2019, 9:28 am

KevinS wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 3:23 pm
How do some of you do it? Do you wear velvet?

There's a secret, right?

I'm thinking that I should speak softly and close to the mic. Is that it?

Don't ask me why this is important to me.
In fact, it's called "eating the mic." Radio stations usually use dynamic mics like the EV20, which help give that signature sound when you're about an inch away, something a condenser can't handle. Never got me a marriage proposal, though.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Post Reply