I can't get uploaded

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hey! here is a little video on "how I export an MP3 and upload it to tests" . https://youtu.be/GKn9MirE3bg
If you don't see the export as MP3 option you need LAME. If you do see that option then it is smooth sailing from here on!!! :thumbs: Let me know if this confuses you more than helps, eh?
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

Progress, but no progress. I was able to install LAME. I made a new recording, and hit export as MP3. I said save to Desktop, gave it a name, hit save. Went to Upload. I did not find my file, but I found my LAME download, so I entered that. It seemed to be going through, but in the end it was rejected like everything else--this time, I'm guessing, because, like I just said, it was LAME itself I was attempting to upload, and not the file, which I could not locate. As I said, one of the chief problems, as I now see it, as that my recordings are not even showing up. I THINK I'm saving them, but they vanish. One question: after I hit SAVE, the screen returns to the Audacity dashboard. I simply x that out, since I feel I've no further business there. Do I?
My name is Mark
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I recorded again. I called it "oneminutetest". I "saved it". When I went to upload, I went to my desktop, and found a file called "oneminutetest" at the top of my "recent files'. Yet when I went to upload, it said the file "could not be located". One additional question. After I recorded this time, I --whatever you call it where you scroll back to the beginning, so I could listen to the recording. I then IMMEDIATELY hit import. Should I have unscrolled it, or whatever the word is for changing the color of the screen, before I exported?
My name is Mark
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 19th, 2019, 7:38 am Progress, but no progress. I was able to install LAME. I made a new recording, and hit export as MP3. I said save to Desktop, gave it a name, hit save. Went to Upload. I did not find my file, but I found my LAME download, so I entered that. It seemed to be going through, but in the end it was rejected like everything else--this time, I'm guessing, because, like I just said, it was LAME itself I was attempting to upload, and not the file, which I could not locate. As I said, one of the chief problems, as I now see it, as that my recordings are not even showing up. I THINK I'm saving them, but they vanish. One question: after I hit SAVE, the screen returns to the Audacity dashboard. I simply x that out, since I feel I've no further business there. Do I?
'saving' tells audacity you want to save the audacity file '.aup'.
export is the one you want. :D
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

When you say"Saving is not the one I want", when I am on that screen that first opens up after I hit "export to MP3", there IS no further "export" to hit, ONLY "save". Question: at the top, where it first asks where do I want to save the file TO, I get variations on "Desktop". SHOULD it say something about LAME? LAME doesn't even seem to enter into things, even though so far as I know, I have now installed it.
My name is Mark
ej400

Post by ej400 »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 19th, 2019, 8:19 am When you say"Saving is not the one I want", when I am on that screen that first opens up after I hit "export to MP3", there IS no further "export" to hit, ONLY "save". Question: at the top, where it first asks where do I want to save the file TO, I get variations on "Desktop". SHOULD it say something about LAME? LAME doesn't even seem to enter into things, even though so far as I know, I have now installed it.
You might want to create a folder on your computer for just librivox that you can find easily. You'll export the mp3 file to that folder (if that's where you want it), but you don't have to save it to LAME.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm going to try to make a video for you, but it's going to take me a while - I have to download and install video software, then remember how to use it. (I've done it before, but it's been a few years.) :roll:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

LAME is a bit of code that makes it possible to make an MP3 at all. Once it's installed, you should never have to look at it or use it again, because it's been integrated into Audacity.

The saving/exporting/where-is-it questions I'll try to answer in the video.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

TriciaG wrote: June 19th, 2019, 8:33 am I'm going to try to make a video for you, but it's going to take me a while - I have to download and install video software, then remember how to use it. (I've done it before, but it's been a few years.) :roll:
Tricia, I made a video already. Hopefully it explains what he needs to do. It's further up the thread a few responses. :D But feel free to do it too. Sometimes I miss the point entirely.
EDIT: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKn9MirE3bg&feature=youtu.be
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think we need to get into more detail on that saving/exporting screen. :)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Please describe the steps you're taking to export the file. It sounds as if something is going wrong there.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

Here are all the step
I record
I stop the recording
I hit "file", I then hit "export MP3" [should I be hitting "import"?]
The "export audio" window now opens.
For "Save in" I put "desktop"
For "file name" I put "test_leder"
I click on "save" and somewhere in there it disappears, because it does NOT in fact appear on my desktop
So what am I doing wrong?
My name is Mark
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I just gave all the steps, above. I do see one discrepancy between my "export audio" window and what Phil shows on his video. After he hits the "save" button, a screen opens showing a line spreading from left to right, indicating the transfer of the file. I GET NO SUCH SCREEN
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I can't get the blasted video recording to work. :evil:

Sounds like you're doing all the steps correctly.

When you go to the uploader, you navigate to the desktop to find the file, correct?

(Seeing your last post) If your file isn't very long, the progress bar won't show or if it does, will not last long.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

If you still can't find it then, than create a folder called "librivox" or something on your computer and save the file to that folder. :D <smile>