I can't get uploaded

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ej400

Post by ej400 »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm I first see "Save as:Audacity" Is that what it should say?
Right there! It should be save as mp3 file. There should be an option to change that :D <smile>
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ej400 wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:29 pm
7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm I first see "Save as:Audacity" Is that what it should say?
Right there! It should be save as mp3 file. There should be an option to change that :D <smile>
On my version, "Audacity" doesn't come up as an option when exporting as MP3. Audacity only shows as an option when doing a Save Project, not an Export. :hmm:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I'm going to go check right now, cause I've been wrong before, but I believe I did check, just minutes ago, and there was NO other option other than "Audacity"
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Unless...

Have you installed LAME?
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

1. I checked. There's a whole bunch of alternatives to "Audacity", but none of them say "MP3 files". It DOES say "Desktop", for example
2. No, I have not installed LAME
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, you must be looking in the wrong spot, because "desktop" isn't a file type.

I'm thinking maybe we could request Phil to make a video to show you how to install LAME and how to export. You said you had Windows 10? I don't have that, so I can't give precise directions on how to do things.

Unless someone else reading this thread and has Win10 can give detailed instructions on how to install LAME, and how to export (including figuring out where "desktop" and such is, so we can direct to the correct spot in the Export window)...

Don't get discouraged. We'll figure this out!
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:39 pm 1. I checked. There's a whole bunch of alternatives to "Audacity", but none of them say "MP3 files". It DOES say "Desktop", for example
I would try exporting to Desktop if I were you. If the export works, you should be able to see it right on your desktop screen (assuming desktop is the same for Mac as it is for Windows). If not, then maybe try LAME
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I'm getting more concerned about why my recordings are not even showing up when I go to export. If I hit "record", and later hit "stop", shouldn't there be something there, recorded at a certain time, which should show up on my list of what I choose to export? It's as if I never recorded it in the first place!
My name is Mark
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 1:02 pm I'm getting more concerned about why my recordings are not even showing up when I go to export. If I hit "record", and later hit "stop", shouldn't there be something there, recorded at a certain time, which should show up on my list of what I choose to export? It's as if I never recorded it in the first place!
Well you have to export it before it shows up on your list. Otherwise it won't have a name and stuff. A few replies earlier Phil mentioned there is another video that shows the process. Have you checked it out?
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I have now checked out Phil's video, and, so far as I know, I comply in all respects. So I'm in the same bind as before. Not that I know if it has anything to do with anything, but what SHOULD I put in that "file name" slot? test_mleder? test_mleder_data? Something else entirely? Does it make any difference as far as why I can't upload?
My name is Mark
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:39 pm 1. I checked. There's a whole bunch of alternatives to "Audacity", but none of them say "MP3 files". It DOES say "Desktop", for example
When I installed Audacity in my Windows 10 laptop, for some reason it didn't come with the LAME encoder so I had to download that separately.
So probably you're also missing the LAME encoder, which you need in order to export to mp3.

Follow these steps to get the LAME encoder
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Audacity_FAQ#How_do_I_get_the_LAME_MP3_encoder.3F

That's the one I got for my set-up.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

7A2c3Ml wrote: June 18th, 2019, 12:24 pm I decided I'll spell out EVERRYTHING, and maybe that way someone will spot where I go wrong. Incidentally, the files are not longer even showing up when the MP3 window opens, so something is going wrong even earlier in the process. But I'll start from when I hit export to MP3.
The window opens. I first see "Save as:Audacity" Is that what it should say?
This is followed by "names", which I presume means the names of files.. It showed me one file, "Test_7a2cml_data", from yesterday! and then a second "Test_mleder_data" from earlier today. {Like I said, I've tried 3 times since then, and none even show up!]
Under that it asks for a file name, which I assume would be "test_mleder" again, no? Under that, "Save as type", which correctly says "MP3 Files"
Is any of this helpful? I fear not since, as I said, the more recent files are not even showing up at all. Let me ask another question. AFTER I think I've done the exporting, and x out that screen, now I'm back to the Audacity dashboard. A new screen appears, asking if I want to save the project? Is that a yes or a no?
In this bolded part, I think you mean to say "Save in: Audacity" at the top of the window, which is the folder, so that's why it gives you options like Desktop for example. You can choose whichever folder you have easiest access to later upload from, I guess.
AFTER I think I've done the exporting, and x out that screen, now I'm back to the Audacity dashboard. A new screen appears, asking if I want to save the project? Is that a yes or a no?
You shouldn't have to x out that screen to go back to the Audacity dashboard (exporting closes that automatically). But when you x out Audacity itself, yes it asks you if you want to save the .aup file if you haven't already done so. This doesn't have anything to do with mp3 exporting, but I usually save my .aup files, in case something goes wrong with editing and I need the original recording, or when editing takes a long time, I save the .aup file every once in a while in case of a crush that's going to cost me all the editing! :shock:

Looking at this image:
When I press the button "Save" next to the filename I've just given (here "untitled"), it opens another window where I can enter Metadata. We just ignore those now, so we just click OK in that window, and the exporting begins, automatically returning to the Audacity dashboard.

Is this procedure possible for you?
If you don't have LAME, it will ask you for it when you click that Save button, I think, if I remember correctly from my case.
7A2c3Ml

Post by 7A2c3Ml »

I go from one bomb to another. I tried to download LAME. No way. I went to "Edit", then to "Preferences", then to "Libraries". So far so good. While there was then a mention of LAME, the only choices were "locate" and something else under "FFMEG libraries". No LAME. When I went the other route, and went to the Librivox page, where it appears to say "download" LAME. I got something that showed up on my desktop, but nothing I could either open or install
My name is Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I got something that showed up on my desktop, but nothing I could either open or install
Go to "Edit", then to "Preferences", then to "Libraries". Then choose "locate" and go to the desktop and select that "something that showed up on my desktop." That is what you're trying to locate. :)

And for the record:
what SHOULD I put in that "file name" slot? test_mleder? test_mleder_data? Something else entirely? Does it make any difference as far as why I can't upload?
No, this doesn't make a difference. The uploader doesn't look at the file name and reject a file because of its name. Letters, numbers, underscores, dashes - they all work in the uploader. It's the file TYPE that is the problem for you - that you haven't installed LAME which is essential for making MP3s. You can't make them without LAME. :)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'll use the same image because it's quite helpful!

At "Save in:" at the top, choose the destination folder for your exported file, somewhere easy to find, like Desktop. Then, at the bottom half, give it a file name, select the options as shown in the image and click the Save button. One of two things should happen:
  • If you already have Lame encoder, the next window you see will be about the metadata. We ignore those now, so leave them blank and click OK. Exporting should start and automatically take you back to Audacity dashboard.
  • If you don't have Lame, then a small window will pop up, asking the location of the lame file, and that is where you choose the new file you got on your desktop. And it should take it from there (next window asking for metadata, then exporting)
So tell us what happens when you click the Save button. :wink:

PS: Sorry, I was slowly typing while Tricia answered already :D
I hope it all goes well!