Pronunciation Help: German, Latin, and French

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Hi all. I just launched The Intermediate Sex as a solo project this morning, and while I'm excited about getting started on it, I know there are some chapters (particularly Chapters 2 and 3) that I'm going to struggle with. Carpenter has a habit of giving the titles of then-untranslated books in their original language -- so there's a heavy sprinkling of French and German I know I'm going to struggle with. There's also a couple of Latin phrases I couldn't find a pronunciation guide for. And don't get me started on all of the ancient Greeks mentioned at the top of Chapter 3.

Would anyone mind helping me out here? I know Librivox doesn't penalize or police us for mispronunciations, but I don't want to mangle all of this and make the audiobook unlistenable for future listeners.

From Chapter 2:
  • anima muliebris in corpore virili inclusa
  • Die Conträre Sexualempfindung
From Chapter 3:
  • It's all Greek to me: Cratinus, Aristodemus, Chariton, Melanippus, Phalaris, Agrigentum, Cleomachus, Chalidians, Eretians, Thessalians, Theocritus, Anacreon, Myrmidones, and probably a bunch of other names I'm missing right now
  • Bibliotecha Elzeviriana
  • Des Aberrations du sens génésique
  • Uranisme et unisexualité
  • Die Sexuelle Frage
  • mutatis mutandis
  • neuro(psycho)pathische Belastung
  • Eispnêlos and Aites
Thanks as always, folks!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Here's Chapter 2:

anima muliebris in corpore virili inclusa

ON-ee-muh mule-ee-ay[hay]-brees[grease] een CORE-pour-ay vir[sort of like beer]-EE-lee[bee] en-CLUE-sah

Die Conträre Sexualempfindung

dee con-trare[dare]-uh sex-you-al[doll]-m-fin-dung

These are very, very loose 'pronunciations.'
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KevinS wrote: May 25th, 2019, 1:08 pm Here's Chapter 2:

anima muliebris in corpore virili inclusa

ON-ee-muh mule-ee-ay[hay]-brees[grease] een CORE-pour-ay vir[sort of like beer]-EE-lee[bee] en-CLUE-sah

Die Conträre Sexualempfindung

dee con-trare[dare]-uh sex-you-al[doll]-m-fin-dung

These are very, very loose 'pronunciations.'
Trust me, anything will help. Thanks!
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Cratinus, Aristodemus, Chariton, Melanippus, Phalaris, Agrigentum, Cleomachus, Chalidians, Eretians, Thessalians, Theocritus, Anacreon, Myrmidones

I think you can safely punt on these. They are so often pronounced to fit the American and British tongue that one hears everything imaginable.

I'll again give very rough pronunciations as one would hear among undergraduates. CRAT-in-us, Uh-rist-oh-DAME-us, CHAIR-uh-ton, Mel-ON-ip-puss, Fal[doll]-LAR-is[diss], Uh-gree-GENT-um, Clio-MACH-us, chal[pal]-LID-ee-ans, e're-REE-shuns, thess[dress]-SAIL-ee-uns, Ana-CRAY-one[lone], mere-mid-one[lone]-ess

Bibliotecha Elzeviriana

bib-lee-oh-TAKE-uh el-zay-vir[beer]-ee-ana

Des Aberrations du sens génésique---I pass on all French!

Uranisme et unisexualité---Non!

Die Sexuelle Frage

dee sex-ool[cool] frag[with a vowel as in in nog]-uh

mutatis mutandis

moo[goo]-TAT-tiss[diss] moo[goo]-TON[gone]-diss

neuro(psycho)pathische Belastung

neuro(pscho)[like the English]pa[ma]-diss-uh bell-ah-stoong[I don't know how to mark this last syllable. It's kind of like rung but with the oo[moo] sound.]

Eispnêlos and Aites---I would be guessing. Okay, I'll guess. ICE-pee-NAY-los[toast, without the t] and EYE-tes[less]
Last edited by KevinS on May 25th, 2019, 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

This thread will be hilarious to native speakers!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I don't really want to promise, but I'll try to record at least the German, French and Latin snippets in the afternoon (it's morning right now). For the Greek parts, I can record them, but I am not Greek and not at all speaking that language - there's probably a heavy German accent on them.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

And here we go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/pronunciation.mp3

Be careful with the names; I'm all but confident with those Greek names (I think most are really Greek :) ). The rest should be fine unless Sonia tells you something different about the French stuff :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

KevinS wrote: May 25th, 2019, 4:40 pm Cratinus, Aristodemus, Chariton, Melanippus, Phalaris, Agrigentum, Cleomachus, Chalidians, Eretians, Thessalians, Theocritus, Anacreon, Myrmidones

I think you can safely punt on these. They are so often pronounced to fit the American and British tongue that one hears everything imaginable.

I'll again give very rough pronunciations as one would hear among undergraduates. CRAT-in-us, Uh-rist-oh-DAME-us, CHAIR-uh-ton, Mel-ON-ip-puss, Fal[doll]-LAR-is[diss], Uh-gree-GENT-um, Clio-MACH-us, chal[pal]-LID-ee-ans, e're-REE-shuns, thess[dress]-SAIL-ee-uns, Ana-CRAY-one[lone], mere-mid-one[lone]-ess

Bibliotecha Elzeviriana

bib-lee-oh-TAKE-uh el-zay-vir[beer]-ee-ana

Des Aberrations du sens génésique---I pass on all French!

Uranisme et unisexualité---Non!

Die Sexuelle Frage

dee sex-ool[cool] frag[with a vowel as in in nog]-uh

mutatis mutandis

moo[goo]-TAT-tiss[diss] moo[goo]-TON[gone]-diss

neuro(psycho)pathische Belastung

neuro(pscho)[like the English]pa[ma]-diss-uh bell-ah-stoong[I don't know how to mark this last syllable. It's kind of like rung but with the oo[moo] sound.]

Eispnêlos and Aites---I would be guessing. Okay, I'll guess. ICE-pee-NAY-los[toast, without the t] and EYE-tes[less]
moniaqua wrote: May 26th, 2019, 8:28 am And here we go:

Be careful with the names; I'm all but confident with those Greek names (I think most are really Greek :) ). The rest should be fine unless Sonia tells you something different about the French stuff :)
This all tremendously helpful! Thank you both!
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

hi there :)

I had a listen to your file, Monika, well done all in all :thumbs: I only would think that those words "Chalidians, Eretians, Thessalians" are not personal names, but nations, and therefore the ending syllable can probably be said the English way. So: Thessalians, like Italians for example. But I would need to see those words in context to be sure. Chuck probably will find out.

French is quite accurate apart from one single word at 1:30: "sens" is pronounced with the final 's' as well. so: /sens gé-né-sic/ not /sen gé-né-sic/

the rest is fine !

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Thank you very much :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

So I'm getting started on this again after a protracted absence (thanks Covid)... and unfortunately, moniaqua's excellent pronunciation guide has disappeared. Would it be possible to have the following file re-uploaded?

Thanks!
PROJECTS
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

If she still has it and can re-upload it again for you, then yes. But otherwise, it is gone. I'm sorry. :( Files in the nonproject folder are cleaned out regularly, and we don't back them up or anything. In the future, if there is a similar situation that arises, it's a good idea to save your own copy, especially if you think you may need to take some time away.

You may want to send moniaqua a PM to be sure that she sees your request.