Headphones. What should I look for?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

lurcherlover wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 1:02 pm I have had that model for some years (probably 8-10 years) so that's why it is probably no longer available.

I would think that any established makes at about $40-$80 would be OK. It also depends how good your headphone monitoring equipment is, and if you are just using a basic computer monitor output then it would be best to go for a fairly cheap headphone, as more expensive ones would possibly be wasted.
I'm shooting for around 40 dollars (US.) Thank you for the advice.
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s for an unreasonable amount of money for a pair of open backed, over the ear headphones more than ten years ago.

They remain on my head unnoticed.
They are light, comfortable, crisp and clear.

I am not a Sennheiser distributor or employee.
But...you get what you pay for; and if you are going to have these things rest on the top of your head for long periods, it's cheaper to buy quality now, than have a cheap unsatisfactory collection.
Take my Beyerdynamic low-impedance scientifically-designed electronically-enhanced, recommended and well reviewed cans, for example.

They are closed-back and rest on the ear... not cover the ear. They are heavy and tight and after a while the ear gets compressed and the feeling of isolation casts a looming shadow through my consc....sorry.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I used to be happy with two tin cans and string.
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

Kevin,
I used Sennheiser HD201s, for a number of years, before upgrading to the HD280s. I see they are on clearance, at Guitar Center.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser/HD-201-Pro-Closed-Back-Headphones.gc
They are lightweight, over-ear, and I spent many an hour wearing them. ...to the point that my facial whiskers rubbed the padding off of the earcups. I replaced them once.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

DaleInTexas wrote: May 22nd, 2019, 4:52 pm Kevin,
I used Sennheiser HD201s, for a number of years, before upgrading to the HD280s. I see they are on clearance, at Guitar Center.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sennheiser/HD-201-Pro-Closed-Back-Headphones.gc
They are lightweight, over-ear, and I spent many an hour wearing them. ...to the point that my facial whiskers rubbed the padding off of the earcups. I replaced them once.
Dale
Nice reviews for that price range!
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Love my Apple EarPods... :9:

Awesome sound without the closed-in feeling of ear-covering headphones, which I detest.
(hey, I need to be able to hear what's going on in the other room!)
April