Artistic advice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 9th, 2019, 5:07 pm

I've been sitting for quite awhile on the first Hemingway short story for my recording of "Three Stories & Ten Poems" and I'm pleased with it. I'm the last person to know what others like and expect, however.

I wonder if there is a way of sharing the file with others separate from the PL (whom I am so very appreciative to have helping me.) I'm hoping to get more opinions than one but don't know if that's possible.

Suggestions most welcome.

I have not posted the file anywhere just yet as I know we should not be listening to files, with a few exceptions, until the cataloging is completed.
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 9th, 2019, 5:16 pm

If you want, you can post it elsewhere - a file sharing site or something - and link to that for soliciting opinions. That's fine to do. :) We don't like people using our uploader server as a recreational listening source. It used to be because the server could get overloaded; nowadays it's so that things don't proliferate and spread worldwide before they're finalized.

I will say, though, that like with most things in life, if you ask 5 people, you'll probably get 6 different opinions. :lol: Style preference is subjective. But it's your choice if you want to ask.
Nonfiction: Human Radiation Experiments HERE
Insomnia Collection!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 9th, 2019, 5:39 pm

TriciaG wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 5:16 pm
If you want, you can post it elsewhere - a file sharing site or something - and link to that for soliciting opinions. That's fine to do. :) We don't like people using our uploader server as a recreational listening source. It used to be because the server could get overloaded; nowadays it's so that things don't proliferate and spread worldwide before they're finalized.

I will say, though, that like with most things in life, if you ask 5 people, you'll probably get 6 different opinions. :lol: Style preference is subjective. But it's your choice if you want to ask.
Hahaha! You're right!

For now, at least, I'm just going to eat pizza.
E agora, José?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 9th, 2019, 5:40 pm

I'm going to ask friends and family. I can't ask this of them too often, but it's important to me.
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » May 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

let me give you the best bit of advice you will get, don't ask other people :D unfortunately it's really difficult to show why without breaking LV's rules so I can't show you examples in the forums, but I'll just say that people who rush around asking others opinions quit before they read much and thus lose out. I'm always amused about the emails I get about particular readers, one saying please get reader X to read this book, reader y is awful and he mispronounced the one-horse town in Upper Mongolia where I live, the next saying reader y is great, next saying reader x is awful. etc etc. But most people say thank you all for this great service.
You need to read to your best ability at that moment, fix any PL errors, and move on. That is the way to improve. People want to hear you reading in your way, most will be grateful, some will love you, some will hate you.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 10th, 2019, 4:56 am

annise wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm
let me give you the best bit of advice you will get, don't ask other people :D unfortunately it's really difficult to show why without breaking LV's rules so I can't show you examples in the forums, but I'll just say that people who rush around asking others opinions quit before they read much and thus lose out. I'm always amused about the emails I get about particular readers, one saying please get reader X to read this book, reader y is awful and he mispronounced the one-horse town in Upper Mongolia where I live, the next saying reader y is great, next saying reader x is awful. etc etc. But most people say thank you all for this great service.
You need to read to your best ability at that moment, fix any PL errors, and move on. That is the way to improve. People want to hear you reading in your way, most will be grateful, some will love you, some will hate you.

Anne
Wise words.
E agora, José?

DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas » May 10th, 2019, 6:13 am

@KevinS,
I haven't listened to any of your recordings, yet, but I'll bet you are doing good work. Re: artistic advice- As Anne alluded, my similar philosophy is to be the best ME, that I can be, when recording. I know I am no Scott Brick. The best Scott Brick IS Scott Brick. With each of my recordings, I just try to produce a high-quality, clean audio, with my best attempt to make it something I am proud to release to the world. That is my metric. I figure, if the listener doesn't like my style, they can hit the delete key and move on to something more pleasing to them.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 10th, 2019, 8:01 am

DaleInTexas wrote:
May 10th, 2019, 6:13 am
@KevinS,
I haven't listened to any of your recordings, yet, but I'll bet you are doing good work. Re: artistic advice- As Anne alluded, my similar philosophy is to be the best ME, that I can be, when recording. I know I am no Scott Brick. The best Scott Brick IS Scott Brick. With each of my recordings, I just try to produce a high-quality, clean audio, with my best attempt to make it something I am proud to release to the world. That is my metric. I figure, if the listener doesn't like my style, they can hit the delete key and move on to something more pleasing to them.
Dale
Thank you, Dale. I am reassured by your message.
E agora, José?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 10th, 2019, 8:03 am

Scott Brick? Is he a radio detective?

(Wink.)
E agora, José?