One reader with two voices desired.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 22nd, 2019, 12:19 pm

Me again. (Infernal me!)

I'm afraid I don't know where or how to make this request.

I am looking to record a longer short poem by L. Abercrombie entitled "The Sale [sic] of Saint Thomas." It's the first poem in "Georgian Poetry," a book that I don't think has been recorded yet, despite its importance in at least an historical sense.

https://archive.org/details/georgianpoetry1900londuoft/page/n15

I have started recording Thomas's part, but there is also A Ship's Captain, and a rather small part for a Stranger. I would like to work collaboratively and am willing to do any hard work that appears (editing, et cetera.)

Might someone help me get this off the ground, or point me to where all these things occur?

EDIT: You know, I might be better as the Captain and Stranger as I have something of a rasping voice nowadays. Perhaps the volunteer would like to do the longer part of St. Thomas...
E agora, José?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 22nd, 2019, 3:07 pm

If you are planning it as a stand-alone project, you'll need to set it up as a project on the Launch Pad whichever way you go, as a Solo if you decide to go that way, or as a group project and get other readers to sign up.

Anne

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » April 22nd, 2019, 3:10 pm

Usually when one does a solo, one does all voices oneself... That's part of the fun. Turning it into a duet or a trio is more challenging than just reading all lines as written, IMNSHO. You can change your voice slightly when reading for the Captain or the Stranger (or both, and keep the St. Thomas for your "regular" voice): make the Captain more hoarse than usual, for instance, and if the Stranger can be younger, read him higher a bit (and you can even change pitch using Audacity effect :shock: )...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm

Hmmmmm.

A two person collaboration for one poem ends up in the 'too hard' pile, I guess.

Thank you both, sincerely, for the help.
E agora, José?

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » April 22nd, 2019, 4:59 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 3:46 pm
Hmmmmm.

A two person collaboration for one poem ends up in the 'too hard' pile, I guess.

Thank you both, sincerely, for the help.
I don't think that's what tovarisch meant. He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was just trying to encourage you to expand your horizons a bit, maybe stretch your comfort zone, and give it a try.

This kind of project is not "too hard" at all, and you'll find similar kinds of collaboration in the Dramatic forum. We do it all the time.

How long is the poem? (Forgive me for not looking, since you've provided the link, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment.) Do you have an estimate for how long the finished recording might be? I'm asking because that will make all the difference as to whether or not this would be a standalone project or whether it would need to go in the Short Poetry Collection or something similar.

EDIT: Actually, this might even do very well in the One Act Play collection, even though it's not properly a play. You might pop over there and ask. I think Todd would be the one to make the final decision on that. Also, I'm curious. Is there a reason why you only want one person for the two roles, rather than two people?

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm

I didn't suggest the play collection, though the final decision is Todds, because we are anxious to keep a separation between DR and plays - there is a difference between a text written to be performed and one not written that way. I looked at the poem, and it is quite long.
but Kevin didn't say how he wanted to "publish" the completed reading. If it's long enough I still think it would be easier for him in a separate project if he wants different voices.

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 22nd, 2019, 7:10 pm

I'm so pleased to see such input. Thank you!

I'll have to think about what might be best for LibriVox and its listeners.

Eventually I would like to record all of the "Georgian Poems" collection, but I thought I should finish first my commitments to the Home Rule project and maybe help with the rest of the Rondon project.

My only reason for suggesting two people reading was to simplify matters. If there were three people who were interested, I'd love it.

I'll give this all some thought.

Again, thank you.
E agora, José?

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » April 22nd, 2019, 10:37 pm

annise wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
I didn't suggest the play collection, though the final decision is Todds, because we are anxious to keep a separation between DR and plays - there is a difference between a text written to be performed and one not written that way.
Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure if there was any kind of rule for works like this being included there.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 22nd, 2019, 11:49 pm

It's not exactly a rule. It's more that DR's aren't plays and vice versa
We did try a DR collection once to give people a feel for handling them before starting a DR of War and Peace, but there hasn't been a 2nd one https://librivox.org/dramatic-reading-scene-and-story-collection-volume-001-by-various/

Anne

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » April 23rd, 2019, 7:23 am

annise wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 11:49 pm
It's not exactly a rule. It's more that DR's aren't plays and vice versa
We did try a DR collection once to give people a feel for handling them before starting a DR of War and Peace, but there hasn't been a 2nd one https://librivox.org/dramatic-reading-scene-and-story-collection-volume-001-by-various/

Anne
Interesting! :D

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » April 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm

David Barnes and I did a poem like this :D ... Prothalamion by Edmund Spenser. It was a lot of fun (and a lot shorter!)

What worked for us (as far as I remember, because it was quite a while ago) was having worked together on other things (so we knew that our editing standards, pace, approach to poetry, accents! etc. were compatible) and having a really short turnaround time (IIRC, David found the poem one Sunday afternoon, messaged me about recording, and we'd finished by the evening.) Not sure that's very helpful for you, now I look at it. Unless it's to say 'more adventurous projects are often easier once we've been here a while', which is in no way a requirement.

I think your one, Kevin, is still a poem, even in dramatic format, and if under 74 mins, still fits nicely in the Short Poetry Collection as it's now defined.

[Edited to add: my goodness, I'd forgotten all about the Global Gathering. Fun ancient history thread! Perhaps it's time to think about another one of those? David was in London, hence picking the 'local' poem, and I was recording a couple of hours drive away. No need for complicated travel when you have TECHNOLOGY!]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » April 23rd, 2019, 5:34 pm

Cori wrote:
April 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm
[Edited to add: my goodness, I'd forgotten all about the Global Gathering. Fun ancient history thread! Perhaps it's time to think about another one of those? David was in London, hence picking the 'local' poem, and I was recording a couple of hours drive away. No need for complicated travel when you have TECHNOLOGY!]
I'm getting "File not found" from this link. Pity, because it sounds interesting!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 23rd, 2019, 10:57 pm

Searching gave me this viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10131&hilit=global+gathering
Before my time though there was a London group that did some recording at meetings, and a Toronto one that I do remember

Anne

mightyfelix

Post by mightyfelix » April 23rd, 2019, 11:20 pm

Interesting! While it's not at all surprising that the idea of a global gathering never got off the ground, I am intrigued by the idea of local "chapters," so to speak. I wonder if that might work if we tried it again? Perhaps we could see if there are some people willing to be the ringleader for their area. Then we can maybe have a separate thread for each "chapter," maybe even a Facebook group, and point newbies to their own local people when they join. That might even help us retain a few more newbies than we currently do, if they feel they have friendly people close by that they can go to for help. And then the meetings (maybe once a quarter or so?) could also be opened up to the general public, which might help us recruit a few more!

(EDIT: Sorry, Kevin, I don't really remember how we got on to this topic. Sorry for hijacking your thread.)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 24th, 2019, 5:28 am

Quite all right!

Please see my ne thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74745
E agora, José?