Author's Date of Death

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

I've been trying to find the date of death of S. Leonard Bastin, who was writing in the earlier part of the 20th century. He was the author of several books of a botanical nature, including "How to Know the Ferns." I've tried all the usual sources, but with absolutely no luck. Does anyone have any information on this writer? I believe that he was British. Thanks :)

Garth
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Someone at the Linnean Society will know.

https://www.linnean.org/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Thanks Kevin and Tricia for the suggestions. I'll try out those links.

Garth
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

Hi Garth,

I was once an avid genealogist, so thought I'd see if I still had the chops. :D I came up with a Samuel Leonard Bastin who was born in 1880 in Alton, Hampshire. Also found that Samuel Leonard Bastin, described as "journalist" was grantee of a will probated in the Bournemouth District in the period from 1933-1935. There was a Samuel L. Bastin who died at the age of 66 in March 1947 in the Christchurch district. I have no proof that the three entries refer to the same person, but I'd say that it's a reasonable guess. Hope this helps.

Winston
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock
Cori

Post by Cori »

Okay, just here to say 'wow'! Winston, I'd reckon you do indeed still have the chops.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Hi Winston,

Many thanks for your great piece of research, and all that information. I'd just about given up on trying to find anything on this writer. The only thing I had found was that he'd lived in Bournemouth and Lyndhurst at various times. Your mention of Bournemouth, therefore, was very interesting. Christchurch is the adjoining town to Bournemouth, and Lyndhurst in the New Forest is not many miles distant, so I think that the Samuel Bastin that you uncovered is very probably this author. Not only that, but since he died over 70 years ago UK copyright law will enable me to record the piece I had in mind. :D Thanks again for all your trouble.

Garth
k5hsj

Post by k5hsj »

No trouble, Garth--I enjoyed it. And, I scored a "wow" from Cori, who is pretty wow worthy herself! :D
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock