Long magazine piece

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

I have a couple of questions about a magazine piece I would like to read.

https://archive.org/details/blackwoodsmagaz123edinuoft/page/550

It's too long for the short non-fiction collection (estimated 2.5 hrs). Would it be normal to submit this as a separate solo project, even though I am not going to read the entire magazine?

Also, the author of the piece is not named in the source, but I know who it is because the piece is cited in a number of recent biographies. I think their evidence for this comes from unpublished letters, which I don't have access to, but there is no controversy about the author -- people agree it was him -- so I would like to attribute it to him. Will this be OK?
Rob Marland reader section | website
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It's fine to set up your own solo for this one.

About the author... exactly HOW sure are you/the others about him? I don't think it's a big problem putting him into the database. You could say something in the summary of the project like "published anonymously, but now known to have been written by..." You get the idea :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Ava.

I am 100% certain who the author is. It is the account of a trip to Greece by a friend of Oscar Wilde. Wilde and their teacher accompanied him on the trip. Wilde wrote letters, and the teacher wrote his own account. And no Wilde biographer has ever suggested anyone else wrote it. So it is certain, just not in the magazine where I can see it. This is a bound volume of a monthly magazine, and perhaps the contents list was printed on the (now discarded) cover.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

The link I posted above gives the author's name. (Sorry to be mysterious.)
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

KevinS wrote: April 16th, 2019, 6:26 am The link I posted above gives the author's name. (Sorry to be mysterious.)
Hi Kevin,

That's what I thought your link must be when I first saw it, but when I clicked on it I didn't see anything that appeared relevant. I wonder if you see something different to me (I don't know if google books shows different results based on location). Basically, I can see a list of pages and some names of articles etc, but not the article name or authors I am looking for. The title of the book seems different too. Can you let me know exactly what you are seeing that I'm missing?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Google Books is odd.

On page 552 there is an entry for Ride across the Peloponese writtten by G. A. Macmillan. (Published in Blackwood Magazine.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Google Books tries to do location restrictions. Sometimes if you're in Europe or Canada, you cannot see inside books that are freely accessible in the US.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Is that why I can't find a decent recipe for plum pudding? (Wink.)
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks for the clarification. Well, that is what I would expect to see re: author and title, so all is good. Thanks for the detective work!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Google plays safe - if they haven't bothered doing any research they block it for non north Americans . They block books with authors who died in the 1800s for me, I do complain and for a while they fixed them but now they have a waffle statement about "looking into it in the future"

Anne