I'm having a bit of troubling navigating.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 7th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I'd like very much to record at least one of the James Joyce stories published in the 'Irish Homestead.' There were three in total but I'm only sure I can get "The Sisters' as an actual scan with the date visible. I would send that to the Internet Archive, I understand, so that my recording would be accepted here on LibriVox?

The three stories in question were later revised by Joyce and included in his collection "Dubliners." I'm not quite sure how I would go about distinguishing them from their later forms. I don't want to confuse folks, but I do think that Joyce enthusiasts would enjoy hearing these stories in their original edition.

Any advice? Cautions? Discouraging words?

Kevin
E agora, José?

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 7th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Do you have a link to the text online already? Or are you talking about scanning a hard copy you have?

If it's already online somewhere, you don't have to send it to Archive. In fact, you don't have to send it to Archive at all (but it'd be a nice thing for humanity if you contributed it to Archive).

If you only have a hard copy of a text, you can scan/photograph the title and date info on the original (on a book, the title page and copyright year page; different for magazines, etc.), zip it/them into a zip file, and upload them to the folder of the MC, when you set up the project or then you submit the story to the Short Story Collection. (Individual stories go in the collection rather than as standalone projects. The current Short Story Collection thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73974 )

I'm sure you have more questions. :) Shoot!
Nonfiction: Human Radiation Experiments HERE
Insomnia Collection!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 7th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Oh, yeah. You could differentiate them by calling them something like, "The Sisters, original version" or "The Sisters, 1894 version" or whatever. If you were able to do all 3 stories in your own standalone project, you could explain in the project intro/summary. See https://librivox.org/frankenstein-or-the-modern-prometheus-1818-by-mary-wollstonecraft-shelley/ for an example, as well as this one: https://librivox.org/frankenstein-edition-1831-by-mary-shelley-wollstonecraft/
Nonfiction: Human Radiation Experiments HERE
Insomnia Collection!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 7th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Thanks very much. As I say, I know about "The Sisters" being available in the original form (with date) and I will research the other two stories. The link I have for "The Sisters" is from a scholarly Web site, I believe. I will confirm that. I first found the text on Wiki something but then realized that would not be sufficient for LibriVox.
E agora, José?