GarageBand volume!!!!!!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

I know there are a few GB/Mac users out there and that there is some recognition of the problem of too-loud recordings in GB. I have lowered both the input volume on my MacPro and in GB; yet, I'm still being told that my recording is over spec. I admit, I'm not very tech savvy, and I get easily overwhelmed by all the details of recording, editing, saving, converting, uploading, etc. (Thankfully, I've got the whole reading thing down pretty well.) So, if anyone has a fairly simple and straightforward answer to the problem of excessive volume in GB, I would be most appreciative.
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

Hi there. :)
I think you may have read this: Garage Band 10.3.2 Questions

I'd love to figure out exactly how you fix it also, so we can help others who have the same issues.
What microphone are you using? The Built-in Microphone?

I'm using my Built-In Mic and my current settings are:
System Preferences; Sound; Input, the "Input Volume" slider is exactly half-way.
My Output Volume is always at 75% when I record. (I'm not sure that this would affect recording, but f.y.i.)
In GarageBand, I have to set my Master Volume slider to +2.0 dB.
In iTunes my master volume is 100% (again, this shouldn't affect file volume, but f.y.i.)
I record with my head approximately 1.5 - 2 feet from the screen of my laptop in a normal, not shouting voice.

My files end up being about 89.7 dB.
April
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

LikeManyWaters wrote: January 21st, 2019, 6:01 pm Hi there. :)
I think you may have read this: Garage Band 10.3.2 Questions

I'd love to figure out exactly how you fix it also, so we can help others who have the same issues.
What microphone are you using? The Built-in Microphone?

I'm using my Built-In Mic and my current settings are:
System Preferences; Sound; Input, the "Input Volume" slider is exactly half-way.
My Output Volume is always at 75% when I record. (I'm not sure that this would affect recording, but f.y.i.)
In GarageBand, I have to set my Master Volume slider to +2.0 dB.
In iTunes my master volume is 100% (again, this shouldn't affect file volume, but f.y.i.)
I record with my head approximately 1.5 - 2 feet from the screen of my laptop in a normal, not shouting voice.

My files end up being about 89.7 dB.
Yes, your previous post helped me convert my recording to mono--thanks for that! It's just the volume that continues to be problematic, mostly because there isn't much wiggle room for recordings on LibriVox. I use the built-in microphone on my MacPro. I speak in a normal tone of voice, not very far from the screen because I need to be able to read the text. However, even after setting my Master Volume slider quite low (-9.6), I was told my recording was a tad over the mark.

How do you know what dB level your files end up being? Do you have a way of checking that before you submit? Thanks again for your help!
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
LikeManyWaters

Post by LikeManyWaters »

I use Checker.
After you install and open Checker, just drag the mp3 into Checker and click on the Information tab and it will tell you there.

It's strange that the different GarageBand users are getting such different volumes. I wonder if it is dependent on the year of the Mac? Surely not. :hmm:

EDIT: I have found one person HERE who was having problems with GB's files being too loud, and they fixed it by going to:
GarageBand Preferences: Advanced
and unchecked Auto Normalize. That helped them.

However, mine works fine checked so I'm going to leave it that way. :) But if unchecking this works for you, let us know!
April
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

At this point, I'll try just about anything. Thanks!
--Jane Austen
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

LikeManyWaters wrote: January 21st, 2019, 8:04 pm I use Checker.
After you install and open Checker, just drag the mp3 into Checker and click on the Information tab and it will tell you there.

It's strange that the different GarageBand users are getting such different volumes. I wonder if it is dependent on the year of the Mac? Surely not. :hmm:

EDIT: I have found one person HERE who was having problems with GB's files being too loud, and they fixed it by going to:
GarageBand Preferences: Advanced
and unchecked Auto Normalize. That helped them.

However, mine works fine checked so I'm going to leave it that way. :) But if unchecking this works for you, let us know!
I downloaded Checker and was able to determine my volume and make adjustments accordingly. Thanks so much for the link! :clap:
--Jane Austen