Struggling with sound

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mpetermann

Post by mpetermann »

Help. I've looked at many videos, but can't figure out my problem.

My recordings don't have enough db. Right now, I'm around 80.5. I've tried amplifying the sound, but it's obvious that the waves don't increase that much, and Audacity won't allow me to amplify anymore without clipping it. When I do this anyway, there's a ton of background noise. When I try noise reduction, guess what? You can't hear me again.

I've tried repositioning my mic. I've tried increasing volume in audacity on my mic. But it seems like I have to unnaturally speak into my mic to get the volume where it needs to be. Any help would be appreciated!
Mel
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

What mic are you using? (Brand/model)

Please upload a sample to the "tests" folder so we can play with it, if needed. :) Post the link here.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

mpetermann wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:48 pm Help. I've looked at many videos, but can't figure out my problem.

My recordings don't have enough db. Right now, I'm around 80.5. I've tried amplifying the sound, but it's obvious that the waves don't increase that much, and Audacity won't allow me to amplify anymore without clipping it. When I do this anyway, there's a ton of background noise. When I try noise reduction, guess what? You can't hear me again.

I've tried repositioning my mic. I've tried increasing volume in audacity on my mic. But it seems like I have to unnaturally speak into my mic to get the volume where it needs to be. Any help would be appreciated!
Mel, it sounds like you're struggling trying to digest all the information about things you can do, and apply them to your specific file. I believe you're having trouble with the file you uploaded for "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening". I've taken your track, and applied the required sound edits to make it meet the LV technical requirements. I made an unlisted (won't show up in searches) youtube video of the process for you. Take a look at this and see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/1nAwECSKN24
--Scott
* I am always looking for constructive input on my reading.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

all I can say Scott is "WOW!!!" absolutely fantastic.

Anne
mpetermann

Post by mpetermann »

TriciaG wrote: January 18th, 2019, 5:10 pm What mic are you using? (Brand/model)

Please upload a sample to the "tests" folder so we can play with it, if needed. :) Post the link here.
Hi there!

I'm using something I got off Amazon. It's a Neewer Brand Model #40093851. I just turned the volume all the way up for a test run, and my volume came in at 81.3db.

Thankfully, due to Scotty's awesome video, I think I may have altered my original recordings to meet the standard. I just can't figure out why my recordings are coming in so low. Any ideas are so welcome!
Mel
mpetermann

Post by mpetermann »

McScotty wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:30 pm
mpetermann wrote: January 18th, 2019, 4:48 pm Help. I've looked at many videos, but can't figure out my problem.

Mel, it sounds like you're struggling trying to digest all the information about things you can do, and apply them to your specific file. I believe you're having trouble with the file you uploaded for "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening". I've taken your track, and applied the required sound edits to make it meet the LV technical requirements. I made an unlisted (won't show up in searches) youtube video of the process for you. Take a look at this and see if it helps.

https://youtu.be/1nAwECSKN24
Scott,

Wow. Thank you so much. I'm floored that you would take the time to do that. Bless you! It took me a minute to get it all figured out because I had to figure out how to add replay gain and such, but I *think* it worked! Either way, you're just the best. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
Mel
mpetermann

Post by mpetermann »

annise wrote: January 18th, 2019, 7:42 pm all I can say Scott is "WOW!!!" absolutely fantastic.

Anne
Ditto :wink:
Mel
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

mpetermann wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:00 pm
Scott,

Wow. Thank you so much. I'm floored that you would take the time to do that. Bless you! It took me a minute to get it all figured out because I had to figure out how to add replay gain and such, but I *think* it worked! Either way, you're just the best. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
You're quite welcome... I'm so glad you found this helpful. Sorry I didn't include the link to where ReplayGain installation is discussed, I keep meaning to build a little library of those helpful bits but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe that will be this weekend.

I checked the file you uploaded, and it meets the tech specs, so it looks like you're on your way. Hope you enjoy reading with us!
--Scott
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

mpetermann wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:57 pm
I'm using something I got off Amazon. It's a Neewer Brand Model #40093851. I just turned the volume all the way up for a test run, and my volume came in at 81.3db.
I had a brief attempt with a cheap mic from Amazon (Fifine brand) but it was so bad I returned it. With my mouth physically touching the mic and the gain all the way up I got practically inaudible recordings. I then tried a Blue Yeti (got it for free due to a surprising circumstance at work), and found that with that mic's sensitivity, if I put the gain up enough to get a fair volume in Audacity, it also picked up way too much side noise; my chair creaking, the cat purring in my lap, my wife in the kitchen downstairs... even with doors shut.

I'm now using a Behringer mic on a boom, with a little Pyle mixer box with a good gain control and a couple of sliders to control my tone (Christmas presents from my son, who did lights and sound for stage productions in college and as a volunteer for local high schools now)... and I have largely the same issue with the thing being either WAY too sensitive, or every recording needs nontrivial amplification. So, I record with the mic close to my mouth, and let ReplayGain fix the volume later. At least that way it's hard for a passing car or the cat to spoil a recording.'

I did notice some non-optimal echo in your recording; I suggest you try turning the gain down a bit so the mic doesn't catch the echo so much... and let ReplayGain take care of the dB level for you.

One thing I've found to be really useful is to be aware of when I've made a mistake, and rerecord a phrase or sentence immediately. It's so much easier to edit out a few words than it is to patch something in later. It's especially hard to match mic position and overall tone after the fact. I'll often take quick breathing breaks too, knowing that it's super easy to chop out bad sections... rather than trying to get a perfect uninterrupted read through. Post processing, while sometimes kind of a drag, is actually pretty freeing.
--Scott