Audacity won't record sound in Win 7

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LilyRill

Post by LilyRill »

My old Linux laptop produces a static buzz when using it so I tried to use my Windows 7 desktop to record my 1 minute test. Only Audacity won't record any noise at all. It won't even show a flat line, it won't show anything when I hit record. It's like the program is frozen doing nothing at all, and I have no clue why.

I have tested my mic with Windows Voice Recorder and the mic does work, and there's no sign of the static buzz. It's just Audacity that's the issue. Are there drivers that Audacity didn't download that I need? Are there hidden settings I need to access? Please help!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Easy thing first - is your microphone plugged in before you open Audacity? Audacity only recognises it if it's there when it starts up.

Anne
LilyRill

Post by LilyRill »

Yes. I even restarted my computer just to be sure (reboot is a good solution from time to time). No dice.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm on Win 7 and it works, so it's not a universal issue. :)

If the mic works in another program as you say, then its drivers should all be OK for Audacity, too. :hmm:

Dumb question: Is the mic slider in the Audacity window all the way down? If so, move it up.

Here's the Audacity FAQ about getting no wave form when recording: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#Why_do_I_get_only_a_flat_line_and_no_sound_when_I_try_to_record.3F
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Another suggestion when I did a web search was to go to Edit/Preferences/Devices and make sure Host is set to MME.
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

It's also worth checking that you have the right device selected in the microphone dropdown box on the toolbar.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

LilyRill wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:59 am My old Linux laptop produces a static buzz when using it so I tried to use my Windows 7 desktop to record my 1 minute test. Only Audacity won't record any noise at all. It won't even show a flat line, it won't show anything when I hit record. It's like the program is frozen doing nothing at all, and I have no clue why.
Does it move its time when you hit record or does it sit still at 0? I mean, even if it flat-lines, it still counts seconds, usually...

In Windows 7 there is a "built-in" sound recorder. Can you just try (no, I am not suggesting using for any serious work) recording anything in it? Does that work?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
LilyRill

Post by LilyRill »

It just sits, there's no blue flat line or anything. That concerns me because, in Linux, even if I hit record without turning the mic on it showed the blue flat line.

Yes, as stated in my original post, sound recorded in the Windows 7 voice recorder just fine with no issues. So I know the mic is working, it's Audacity that's the problem.

The correct device is selected (all others show an invaild error, but the selected device matches the details for the device).
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You are correct, your Audacity, as installed, is malfunctioning in a serious manner. I suggest reinstalling it. Also, if it persists, try an older version. You can go back to 2.1 or even 2.0 without a serious detriment to your recording process: the fixes and new features since those are not really important. The alternative is a different recording software. Reaper costs $60, but is well worth it, I think. Ocenaudio is free.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Last ditch effort question: Is your Pause button engaged in Audacity??
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

If the local experts can't help, it may be worth asking on the Audacity support forum: https://forum.audacityteam.org/