Finding Solo Works (texts to record)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, Cori!
That is a GREAT suggestion, to discover/record local works in the PD!

When I find the Massive Treasure Trove, I'll be sure to share it so that others may enjoy it, too!

And now, off to set up my Magic Window!

Everyone has been very generous with their time and thoughtful response; I'm well pleased and quite touched by it.
~Angelique
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Try looking in the Orphans and Abandoned sections with some chapters recorded sections for stuff that hasn't been recorded previously.(If it's already in the catalogue, it'll say so...but that's how I found the material for my first and current solo, The Juvenile Bible.)
For the Abandoned Projects, if you want to turn it into a Solo project, tell the admin so in the thread and they won't use the current half-finished recordings. It's a new Solo you begin. (They don't delete it, it's kept in the system, but it's just not used for your project.)
Abandoned Projects are here
Orphans in Readers Wanted: Books are here

And have fun!

Best,
JayKitty
Last edited by JayKitty76 on January 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm For the Abandoned Projects, if you want to turn it into a Solo project, tell the admin so in the thread and they'll delete the current half-finished recordings for you.
Abandoned Projects are here
Orphans in Readers Wanted: Books are here
Just a small correction: the PL ok sections in an abandoned project are not deleted. Not ever, as far as I know. Anyone is still able to use them in a group project. You starting your solo actually has no effect on previous recorded sections at all. It's a completely new project. :)
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks, Devorah, for that correction.
I just meant the old files won't be used in a brand-new Solo.

The difference is of much importance, so thanks for pointing that out.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thank you Devorah - that is correct :clap:
The abandoned thread is NOT set up because "we" want the project in the catalogue. it is because "we" want to give people who started something and were unable to complete it for various reasons a chance to have their work in the catalogue.
And many of the texts are abandoned because they are a difficult read and thus very unsuitable for a first solo

Anne

"we" is the mythical person that turns up in emails and posts as in the message "we" should do something about something , and I can't believe that "we" haven't read some usually obscure often not PD book. :D. And of course "we" should make sure all 16thC books are read by someone of the same gender and nationality who is a native speaker of the 16thC dialect of the author.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm Thanks, Devorah, for that correction.

Would you please amend your post so that incorrect information is not left for the next person who comes along. Because what you actually said was
For the Abandoned Projects, if you want to turn it into a Solo project, tell the admin so in the thread and they'll delete the current half-finished recordings for you.

And that is completely incorrect from all points and very discouraging for anyone still around just not able to record anymore

Anne
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by annise

[...]

"we" is the mythical person that turns up in emails and posts as in the message "we" should do something about something , and I can't believe that "we" haven't read some usually obscure often not PD book. :D. And of course "we" should make sure all 16thC books are read by someone of the same gender and nationality who is a native speaker of the 16thC dialect of the author.
HaHaHaHa!
"We" know who "They" are!
~Angelique
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Haha I love your definition for "we"! :9: :mrgreen:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

annise wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 6:48 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 6:39 pm Thanks, Devorah, for that correction.

Would you please amend your post so that incorrect information is not left for the next person who comes along. Because what you actually said was
For the Abandoned Projects, if you want to turn it into a Solo project, tell the admin so in the thread and they'll delete the current half-finished recordings for you.

And that is completely incorrect from all points and very discouraging for anyone still around just not able to record anymore

Anne
Amended. Sorry about that.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

If science fiction is of interest, for your next project you could look at this list:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Science_Fiction_Novels

or some of the short or shortish stories reached via the links at the top of the page.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Lordy, that's a page in need of an update! :oops: :lol:

I'd note that although many of those titles will have been recorded already -- they've not been recorded in YOUR voice, and it's a pretty special aspect of LibriVox that we offer readers a 'choice of voice' wherever two readers (or two BCs) decide to do the same book. It's not any sort of problem, and every recording finds its own audience. If you prefer to pick up unrecorded projects, that's totally fine too -- definitely check the catalog carefully first.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, both.
That's from where I got my current, first solo ... But Yes. Confirming from the search they've not been previously recorded is a good idea.
It IS nice to know that if I do repeat, the effort into wasted though.
I always appreciate the help/suggestions!
~Angelique
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Don't know if you're still looking, but I save titles for possible future solos that I may or may not ever do. These are all roughly half the length of a full-length novel, at least by the file size:
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49693.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20551.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27248.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23928.html
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30214.html

They're from sci-fi magazines, and usually run 4-5 hours.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

If you like fantasy, I have been mining the list of books that Ballantine Published as part of their Ballantine Adult Fantasy series in the late 60's early 70's, for ideas. I have done several books from the list, and there are a number of others that haven't been done yet. Here is the Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballantine_Adult_Fantasy_series

Some on the list are not PD, some have already been done, although not as a solo, which is how I prefer to listen. I have used this to find several projects including one I am currently working on: the Lost Continent by CJC Hyne. It is kind of funny, because part of me doesn't want to give this information away, even while I realize that my list of "things I want to record" is too long to ever finish, and I keep adding to it!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

eggs4ears has been working his way through the Ballantine Adult Fantasy books.

Anne