Finding Solo Works (texts to record)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

sjmarky

Don't know if you're still looking, but I save titles for possible future solos that I may or may not ever do.

Thanks, Mark!
Saved and will be prowling through them for my next work!

*GRIN*
You are GREAT!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Boomcoach

If you like fantasy, I have been mining the list of books that Ballantine Published as part of their Ballantine Adult Fantasy
Thank you!
I will look over the list, find the PD works, and make sure they've not already been recorded.
A great resource, for which I thank you!
~Angelique
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

One of the side benefits of recording for LV, for me, has been finding interesting sites which have helped me find material. I have found material to record, as well as non-PD material which is just fun to read! Here are a couple that I have found useful. These sites do not have the etexts, so some detective work is involved once you have a target. My google-fu has become stronger since I joined LV! :mrgreen:

A Guide to Classic Mystery and Detective Stories
This site is a lot of fun to read. It includes works not PD, and also hard to find works, but I have found a number of projects through it.

Skulls in the Stars
This is a blog with the description of "The intersection of physics, optics, history and pulp fiction". I found Richard Marsh through this site, and pointers to other pulp and weird fiction. There are also interesting posts on optics, which go over my head, but I still enjoy reading.

I am sure that others have their own sources. As was mentioned before, keep an eye on the "Book Suggestions" forum, some people with excellent hunter's instincts post some interesting things here!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

One of my best sources is my daily "Word of the Day" email I get from dictionary.com. (Yes, I'm a nerd.) Each word of the day email includes, of course, the definition of the word, the word's origin and etymology, and (here's where the magic is) a quote containing the word. Not all the quotes are PD, but many are.

For example, I've just glanced back through this week's words, and the word for February 2 was prognosticate. The quote given was:
Indeed, during the year we are describing, it was known that all those visible signs which prognosticate any particular description of weather, had altogether lost their significance.
WILLIAM CARLETON, THE BLACK PROPHET: A TALE OF IRISH FAMINE, 1847
I love that they include the year of the work that was quoted, and often, when I see that the year is pre-1923, I'll then check to see whether we have that work yet and then try to find an online copy. Some of these end up in Book Suggestions, and I've ended up doing a couple of them myself.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

*WOW* What terrific resources you continue to share!
The time which you take, the generosity you display, is astounding, exciting and very much appreciated!
~Angelique