2 questions overdubbing and file change name

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

I love Phil Chenevet's youtube vids, but it seems like the newest version of audacity places dubbed recordings at the and of the recording instead of on a new track as his vid incates, which is fine, but there's a double brown line where I overdubbed. I can't "hear" the lines. Is this correct?----
Secondly, can anyone point me to a clear youtube vid that shows how to change a file name? Do all the files then rename themselves? Should I try to rename them all or just the project file?
Thanks for any suggestions. Spiffycat.
schrm

Post by schrm »

Spiffycat wrote: January 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm I love Phil Chenevet's youtube vids, but it seems like the newest version of audacity places dubbed recordings at the and of the recording instead of on a new track as his vid incates, which is fine, but there's a double brown line where I overdubbed. I can't "hear" the lines. Is this correct?----
Secondly, can anyone point me to a clear youtube vid that shows how to change a file name? Do all the files then rename themselves? Should I try to rename them all or just the project file?
hi spiffycat,

1. to be honest: i am not sure, what you mean with overdubbed.
do you mean "after you stopped recording, and pushed the record button again, your new recorded section gets added at the end of the file - but with a dividing line or short pause"?
i mark the dividing line and then:
in audacity, in the menue --> select "edit" --> choose "clip boundaries" --> choose "join"
...and its done.

2. i assume, you mean the audacity "files", which are a ("register")file and a folder with many many single files.au?
i never got it to work after a renaming, since the filename-change is also relevant for the contents of the "registerfile" with the ending .aup.
as a workaround, just open the registerfile.aup in audacity and save it again (or export it) with the correct name.

hope i could help,
cheers
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

schrm wrote: January 12th, 2019, 3:55 pm
Spiffycat wrote: January 12th, 2019, 3:29 pm I love Phil Chenevet's youtube vids, but it seems like the newest version of audacity places dubbed recordings at the and of the recording instead of on a new track as his vid incates, which is fine, but there's a double brown line where I overdubbed. I can't "hear" the lines. Is this correct?----
hi spiffycat,

1. to be honest: i am not sure, what you mean with overdubbed.
do you mean "after you stopped recording, and pushed the record button again, your new recorded section gets added at the end of the file - but with a dividing line or short pause"?
i mark the dividing line and then:
in audacity, in the menue --> select "edit" --> choose "clip boundaries" --> choose "join"
...and its done.

2. i assume, you mean the audacity "files", which are a ("register")file and a folder with many many single files.au?
i never got it to work after a renaming, since the filename-change is also relevant for the contents of the "registerfile" with the ending .aup.
as a workaround, just open the registerfile.aup in audacity and save it again (or export it) with the correct name.

hope i could help,
cheers
Thank you for your quick response schrm---I probably invented redubbed as my newbie term. I had to change the last few words of my recording so I marked the insertion point (not necessary, think) and hit record and redid the last bit. I will try the clip boundaries and join trick. I think may work. As for the file rename thing, I've had bad experiences messing with file renaming, but I'll try your method on a few practice files and see if it works. Thank you for your help.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

File / Save Project As... works well. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
schrm

Post by schrm »

Spiffycat wrote: January 12th, 2019, 4:31 pm Thank you for your quick response schrm---I probably invented redubbed as my newbie term. I had to change the last few words of my recording so I marked the insertion point (not necessary, think) and hit record and redid the last bit. I will try the clip boundaries and join trick. I think may work. As for the file rename thing, I've had bad experiences messing with file renaming, but I'll try your method on a few practice files and see if it works. Thank you for your help.

hi,

uh, im german speaking and my english isnt the best :-)
so, if you invented it, nobody will ever know ^^

as i said, try to save it with the correct filename - you have the old file. still, and a second new file then.

wish you much success :-)

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Just reiterating - you can not change the names on files saved by audacity - they are complex and interlinked and enable you to undo things and crash if you fiddle with the names or move them.
If you really want to you could as suggested save the project again using a different name, but if you do this too often you will finish up running out of space
If you want to keep the project at a certain stage so it will be safe, you can export it as say a .flac file and this can be reloaded and worked on further but it will only undo to the point you exported from

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, and I should mention that if you hold down the Shift key while clicking Record, it'll start the recording on a new track under where your cursor currently is. (The default action on old versions and in Phil's video now requires holding down the Shift key.)

Perhaps this will help. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

TriciaG wrote: January 12th, 2019, 4:39 pm File / Save Project As... works well. :)
Thanks---makes perfect sense!
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

TriciaG wrote: January 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm Oh, and I should mention that if you hold down the Shift key while clicking Record, it'll start the recording on a new track under where your cursor currently is. (The default action on old versions and in Phil's video now requires holding down the Shift key.)

Perhaps this will help. :)
Shazam. I missed that little detail. Thanks!
Spiffycat

Post by Spiffycat »

annise wrote: January 12th, 2019, 4:45 pm Just reiterating - you can not change the names on files saved by audacity - they are complex and interlinked and enable you to undo things and crash if you fiddle with the names or move them.
If you really want to you could as suggested save the project again using a different name, but if you do this too often you will finish up running out of space
If you want to keep the project at a certain stage so it will be safe, you can export it as say a .flac file and this can be reloaded and worked on further but it will only undo to the point you exported from

Anne
I appreciate your experience with this because I too have had several disasters with renaming, so I'm glad it's not just me. It as quite the cascade effect. I'm saving your response. Thanks.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

You can't hear the black lines.
I've had the same problem...to merge them, just click directly on the black lines and it'll be fine.
If you want to undo it, click Edit and then Undo Merge.
(This is on a PC, by the way- I have no idea if it'll work on any other device.)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~