Found PL error on completed published project

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

Recently I've noticed clear PL errors (repeated sentences) on a completed, published project.

Is there anything that we can or should do about that... or is a completed project permanently closed, and we just accept it and move forward?

Thanks!
--Scott
* I am always looking for constructive input on my reading.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Tricia usually says that it depends on whether we can find the original BC and MC, and on what the error is. If it's a repeat that can essentially be edited out, it can be done (relatively easily) and the file (or files) can be re-submitted to archive for re-derivation. But in most cases, is it actually worth it? :hmm: My most common pet peeve is bad volume or noise. And even those I, as a listener, never report. I'm not going to listen to that book again, so endure it and move on... And don't get me started on pronunciation. :wink:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

If it's repeated sentences, over and over again, then you might want to contact the PLer or original BC. It'll say in fine print on the catalogue page who PLed/BCed it. If it's not really a big deal, though, does it really matter? Sometimes it's best to just endure it and move on. But if it's recurring and marring your listening experience, send a kind PM to the person who was in charge.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I"m not sure if I'd say what I am said to say. :lol:

I've run into repeated sentences in projects before. It's a bit of work to fix them, so usually I just shrug and keep listening. PLs can sometimes miss a repeated sentence. And we say we're aiming for a 99% accuracy rate, which would be 18 seconds of repeats/errors in a 30 minute file, which is quite a bit.

But if there are multiple errors - if you can't believe the PL even bothered listening to the file, or else how could they have let that many errors slip through - then post your info over in the Error Reports forum. Include the link to the project, which section, where the errors are - as much specific info as you can.

Hope this helps!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Basically just what Tricia said. :lol: Just forgot about the policy she mentioned...but yeah, we're aiming for a 99% accuracy rate.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It can happen, the reader may have uploaded an unedited file, the corrected file may not be the one in the MW because of a file name error or the DPL may have not PLed from the MW or the space Gremlins may have struck or.........
But now as every reader and every proof listener is wondering if it is their "error", maybe you better tell us which project it is :D

Anne
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

It wasn't a huge problem... just a block of 1-2 sentences played twice, in two different stories in one short story collection. I'm wondering if it might have been a player issue, and not a problem with the file at all. Usually when my player acts up it's much shorter sections that repeat. I didn't make a note of the story or the time index in either case, so I will need to listen again and see if I can catch them again.

I'll reply here again if I can locate and verify the issues.

Thanks for all the quick feedback, at least I have a better idea of what is appropriate to follow up on, and how to proceed, when I stumble on things in the future.
--Scott
McScotty

Post by McScotty »

I found one of them, and it wasn't an equipment error. There is a sentence and a half, interrupted by what sounds like a truck driving by outside, followed by the same sentence and a half again. There's some irony in this particular item; the half sentence reads "Then a sound like a sigh came from my companion" and "companion" is garbled somewhat by the truck sound.

The second issue I think was my error, due to the text (a different work in the same collection) being somewhat repetitive.
--Scott
kayray

Post by kayray »

I kinda like it when I hear a repeated sentence or a missed edit now and then. I prefer our homespun, friendly, amateur quality to that of a polished professional audiobook, and it makes me feel very friendly towards the reader for some reason.

(But yeah - a billion missed edits would be annoying and I'd report that file in the Error Reports forum in case it was overlooked.)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

kayray wrote: ↑November 28th, 2018, 10:42 pm I kinda like it when I hear a repeated sentence or a missed edit now and then. I prefer our homespun, friendly, amateur quality to that of a polished professional audiobook, and it makes me feel very friendly towards the reader for some reason.

Does that give me free reign to be a bit more slapdash in my recording and editing?!? :wink:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No - we expect readers present properly edited files and proof listeners to pick up errors
What we really are discussing here is thepossibility of fixing catalogued projects, which is completely different.
I have for example a chapter with a 12 second gap , the reader is no longer around

So I could read those words myself
Throw out the chapter and read it myself , so a solo would have a different reader in 1 chapter
Leave it as is
If the bit left out was not critical, I could try taking out a few words so listening it would sound right unless you were reading along with the recording
And even if the reader is around but the recording is 10 years old , any extra bit they inserted would probably stick out
And there are probably other options if I thought harder

The best answer depends on what is being read
Leving our words could be problematical in a book about edible mushrooms . "Red spotted caps are not poisonous when soaked in caustic soda for 15 mins then grilled " really needs the underlined section :D

Anne
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It was only meant as a joke ... I do record and edit to the highest standards I can manage, at least until such time as I'm past it (which might be quite soon ...) :)