Question - PD Book NOT computerized, Gutenberg or otherwise

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I've been slowly working on a series of children's books by Laura Lee Hope. Many of them are in Project Gutenberg, and a few have been recorded here.

One early one, The Story of a Sawdust Doll, I cannot find anywhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-STORY-OF-A-SAWDUST-DOLL-BY-LAURA-LEE-HOPE-1920/232927252618?hash=item363b8bd08a:g:ZMoAAOSwyGhbiC66

My question is whether a book can be recorded for Librivox if it is in the Public Domain, but is not digitized.

Thanks,
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If a hard copy is an original edition (not a reprint) such that the copyright page shows clearly it was published/copyrighted in 1922 or earlier, it can be used. More modern reprints are not allowed, because they're often edited. The one in the eBay listing would be OK.

You'd need to scan or take a clear picture of the title page and copyright notice page, and upload them to your MC. We'd file this along with the cataloged project.

I myself have taken hard copies and scanned/photographed the pages and put them on Archive, but it's a lot of work. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Nedge wrote: ↑November 25th, 2018, 11:38 am One early one, The Story of a Sawdust Doll, I cannot find anywhere.
Actually, the Internet Archive (TIA) has this one:
https://archive.org/details/storyofsawdustdo00hope

And you gave me an idea for a project I can run over at Distributed Proofreaders (DP), for Project Gutenberg (PG) :)

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Don, I don't know how I missed that -- thank you. Maybe after the Tin Soldier. :)

Nan
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Nan,
Like Tricia said, if the hard copy is clearly PD, you can go ahead and use it for a solo or whatnot. Have fun!
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Okay, you people have mad finding skillz. I am looking for the LAST tale in the series by Laura Lee Hope, which is about a Woolley Dog. It appears to be copyright 1923.

Can anyone find it for me? I have tried Gutenberg of course, and also a substantial list of other places.

Nan
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

...but yes, I can use the hard copy if it's PD. Got it (just as I sent my question!)

Thank you...