WavePad volume

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
jfschuurman

Post by jfschuurman »

Hi
I am again active on Librivox after leaving in 2012. Enjoying it again!
My question: How do I get the correct db levels in NCH WavePad?
I am doing the recordings and WavePad seems to tell me that I am verging on too loud (into red) but when I submit my recordings I am told by the listener that they are below the minimum.
I go into "normalize" and put the dB level at 90 and apply but the problem persists. Any help out there? I am obviously missing something pretty clear -- just can't find it. I have the NCH WavePad Masters Edition.
Thanks,

jfschuurman
There's got to be a place ahead where men ain't low down and cards are played fair. If there ain't, what are all the songs about? (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs)
DaleInTexas

Post by DaleInTexas »

JF,
I do not use WavePad for recording, but have used WavePad before. I have the App on my iPhone and iPad. It has many options to Normalize, from preset -3/-6dB, Peak, or Average Loudness (RMS). Have you tried all of these options, to see if you can find one that gets you in the L-vox range?

Reading your post, I feel you are recording hot ("...verging on too loud - in the red"). Without seeing, I think you are recording hot, with peaks slapping the red. When you Normalize on Peaks, the entire signal is raised equally, by the amount of room left over from your highest peak to 0.0dB. This does not necessarily mean the average loudness (RMS/LUFS) is raised, if you are normalizing on peak. The "normalize to 90 [%?] also makes me think you are intending the "to 90" to act as a limiter, in effect.

When recording, I shoot for the meat of my signal to stay in the -18 to -12 range, with occasional peaks at -6dB. This leaves me room to compress the stray peaks, while bringing up the meat of the signal by adding back the gain that is lost to compression.
Dale
Dale Latham
Down on the Poor Farm
https://twitter.com/dalelatham
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

JF,

According to Amplify or Normalize Audio Files link on this web page "WavePad Audio Editor Technical Support" ( https://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/support.html ) you should go to the Levels tab and then select amplify.

David O