Max length of a recording?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Foon

Post by Foon »

I was wondering what should be the max length of a Librivox recording. I see 72 minutes around the forum here and there, but invariably with the reason "so it can fit on an audio cd". However, the length of an audio cd is 74 minutes, not 72.
The reason I'm asking is that I have a chapter which came to 73 minutes, and I'd rather not split it unless I have to (it's filled with dialogue and there's no good splitting point).

I'd love to hear what maximum duration I should stick to!
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

74 minutes is what I am used to hearing :wink:

If you want to be absolutely sure, you could go and speed up your recording by 1%. It will push it below even the 72 minutes, and there will be no difference to the listener (make sure to use, what is it called again... "change speed without changing pitch", I think).
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Availle wrote: October 27th, 2018, 4:21 pm "change speed without changing pitch", I think
In Audacity, that effect is called "change tempo." I use it for syncing up group lines in editing dramatic works all the time, so I've come to be good friends with it. :wink: