How do you check tech specs on others' recordings?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I was wondering, since I am considering giving feedback on the Listeners/Editors Wanted forum (for 1-Minute tests and that sort of thing), how do you check tech specs on other volunteers' recordings (e.g., whether Constant/128 kbps is turned on right, if the kbps rate is something other than 128, etc etc)? Also, since I am going into BCing in a few days, I may get a new volunteer who needs their 1-Minute test checked over. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks!
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑October 16th, 2018, 12:43 pm how do you check tech specs on other volunteers' recordings (e.g., whether Constant/128 kbps is turned on right, if the kbps rate is something other than 128, etc etc)?
With Checker, like I do mine.

How do you check your's? ;) If you can check your own recordings, you can check the ones of others as well.
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑October 16th, 2018, 12:43 pm since I am considering giving feedback on the Listeners/Editors Wanted forum
:9: :9:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep, Checker: http://cgjennings.ca/checker/

Don't trust it fully for background noise, since a reader could have appended absolute silence to the end, skewing the results. A human to check things like background noise and clipping works much better than an algorithm. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Oh! Thank you guys, currently I do not have Checker so I'll be sure to download it! Thanks Tricia and Monika!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

moniaqua wrote: ↑October 16th, 2018, 1:13 pm How do you check your's? ;) If you can check your own recordings, you can check the ones of others as well.
I check mine in Audacity, going under File>Export and then at the bottom of the little window that pops up there are all these different options for saving, but the ones that are suggested (auto-chosen) for me are the ones I always save them as.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ah, okay...got Checker and I think I've figured it out. In order to check tech specs for others, however, I just gotta right-click on the .mp3 file and choose Save Target As on my desktop, because so far as I know, I can only choose files that are already saved in my computer folder. (Whew! Does that make sense, or am I talking gibberish? :lol: :P ) Thanks again for your help!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Yes, only local files, so, right-click, Save link as... (or whatever the choice is in your browser to download the file). Some operating systems have built-in properties where you can see the bitrate, mono/stereo and length, but they won't calculate the volume, so Checker is our best bet for now. Perhaps eventually there will be a version of Checker which can be fed a link to a file, but not yet...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Oh, okay, thank you Tovarisch. I'll remember that!