BC PL Notes Question?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Another question: I know that before a DPL comes along, a BC can listen to the files and make PL notes as necessary. But can a BC listen and/or make PL notes after a DPL fills the spot and is already prooflistening? Thanks,
~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

talk to your BC/ MC if it's a specific case. All these questions you are asking are too general, all projects are not the same. In general, people stick to their roles.
Librivox can't and doesn't operate on a gigantic book of rules. Projects differ, readers differ, people differ.
Our working rules are "Be Nice"

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thank you for your help :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Anne is right, of course. It can and does vary. However, for myself, I do occasionally, as BC, add my own notes to what the DPL has found.

If there are specific things that I want them to be listening for, I try to communicate that to them up front. But there have been times when either I forgot to communicate that or, after the project has gotten underway, something comes up, and I realize that I also may want to hear a short snippet for myself. I've never had a DPL express that they felt I was intruding on their territory, so to speak, and I only do it sparingly.

Also, quite often, a DPL may hear something off, and they aren't sure whether or not it really needs to be corrected. In that case, they'll often ask the BC to have a listen themselves and make the final decision.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

mightyfelix wrote: ↑October 8th, 2018, 7:49 pm Anne is right, of course. It can and does vary. However, for myself, I do occasionally, as BC, add my own notes to what the DPL has found...

\
Thank you Devorah for your input! I noticed a BC once add her own comments in addition to the PL notes, and I was just wondering about that. I am going to begin BCing for the first time in a few months, so I wanted to make sure I was prepared for everything it includes. Thank you, I will keep that in mind when I go to BC.
Thanks!
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

As someone who does both BCing and DPLing, I find it fairly flexible working arrangement.

As I see it, the role of the DPL is to listen and highlight everything that the BC might want corrected. The BC can then decide to take a "2nd listen" and may pass some of the pointed out sounds (background sound is a common one) as not being particularly intrusive, or in a non-word perfect project may decide that a small error of wording does not require a change. But if the DPL doesn't point it out, then the BC won't know.

Dramatic projects are a bit of a special case, and the BC and DPL usually work together, as there is a lot of material to PL, and the DPL may well end up listening to most of it twice.

I think the easiest way is to discuss with your DPL what you want pointed out, and how you plan to manage the MW - do you want the DPL to put files in, or do you as the BC want to handle all the files? Do you want the PL notes put in the thread or in the MW as well? If your DPL is new, you will end up doing most of this yourself, but I often let an experienced DPL put files in the MW and link their notes directly, as I'm often not online at the same time as everyone else, not being based in the USA.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Ahh thank you Elizabby! I will certainly remember this when I go to BC my first book :lol: Thank you so much for your input, I didn't realize that the BC could also partner with the DPL (but thinking about it now it makes sense!) Your notes on how the DPL simply points out things that the BC might want corrected put the thing in a new light, I never thought of it that way!
I guess I thought of the DPL as simply a guide to aid volunteers in what mistakes they've made in their recordings. But partnering with the BC as well is waaay cooler :lol: Thank you again for your advice!