[SOLVED] Duplicate-Work Question

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Just a couple questions.
First question: Can two or more "duplicate" works be on the forum (NOT the catalogue yet) at the same time (if they are started by two different volunteers)?
Second question: Can two or more "duplicate" works be on the forum(NOT the catalogue yet) at the same time (if both are started by the same volunteer)?

I'd appreciate any replies to these questions. Thanks!

~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Could you say what you mean by duplicate works ? I can see why we'd have 2 readings of say
"War and Peace" going at the same time read by different readers and that would be OK but I can't understand why one person would want to have 2 versions of "War and Peace " at the same time ?
Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Hi Anne,
Like you said, almost every volunteer would not want to take on a duplicate-work project, but just for a volunteer who might want to...I wouldn't myself though. My question is, in the rare chance that someone did want to do that, would that be considered OK?
Thanks,
~JayKitty
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Let's wait till it happens, it hasn't yet.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks for your replies :D
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Oh, by the way, can you please change the title of this topic to [Solved]? I tried to do it but it didn't work (made the earlier post and changed the subject title).
Thanks very much! :D
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd imagine that the only difficulty with having two different recordings of the same work made by the same person would be in keeping the sound files separate. Obviously, if you have two metacoordinators, they will be stored in different folders during processing, but to avoid accidentally sending files to the wrong MC and overwriting near-duplicates by mistake (and for the sake of the final cataloguing), you would need to name the projects differently ..... threemeninaboat_7 and threemeninaboat_8, for example

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Cori

Post by Cori »

Agreeing with everyone above. :D
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑October 8th, 2018, 1:04 pm First question: Can two or more "duplicate" works be on the forum (NOT the catalogue yet) at the same time (if they are started by two different volunteers)?
Yes, we call it the 'choice of voice' and it doesn't matter if both works are in progress. That said, I'd see a mild etiquette issue, if for example person A started a solo of something obscure, and then person B saw it and started their own ... there's no LibriVox policy against that, but I'd personally think 'why couldn't person B just find their own book'? ;) But that's only unrecorded, less obvious books -- if it's two people doing Pride and Prejudice at the same time, no big deal!

Second question: Can two or more "duplicate" works be on the forum(NOT the catalogue yet) at the same time (if both are started by the same volunteer)?
I'd note, in addition to what was said above, that sound files can't be 'reused'. So Person C couldn't, for example, start a Dramatic Reading and a Solo of Book X, then use the solo file to supply the narrator or characters for the dramatic work. They'd need to record and edit twice over. I have done something like that (I recorded Love and Freindship for LibriVox, and then rerecorded a new version for Audible) but that's different to having two versions running here. So, as Anne said, it would depend on the exact scenario.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Peter Why wrote: ↑October 8th, 2018, 9:31 pm I'd imagine that the only difficulty with having two different recordings of the same work made by the same person would be in keeping the sound files separate. Obviously, if you have two metacoordinators, they will be stored in different folders during processing, but to avoid accidentally sending files to the wrong MC and overwriting near-duplicates by mistake (and for the sake of the final cataloguing), you would need to name the projects differently ..... threemeninaboat_7 and threemeninaboat_8, for example

Peter
Peter,
Thank you for your advice...I never considered that. Thanks!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Cori wrote: ↑October 9th, 2018, 10:38 am Agreeing with everyone above. :D
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑October 8th, 2018, 1:04 pm First question: Can two or more "duplicate" works be on the forum (NOT the catalogue yet) at the same time (if they are started by two different volunteers)?
Yes, we call it the 'choice of voice' and it doesn't matter if both works are in progress. That said, I'd see a mild etiquette issue, if for example person A started a solo of something obscure, and then person B saw it and started their own ... there's no LibriVox policy against that, but I'd personally think 'why couldn't person B just find their own book'? ;) But that's only unrecorded, less obvious books -- if it's two people doing Pride and Prejudice at the same time, no big deal!

I'd note, in addition to what was said above, that sound files can't be 'reused'. So Person C couldn't, for example, start a Dramatic Reading and a Solo of Book X, then use the solo file to supply the narrator or characters for the dramatic work. They'd need to record and edit twice over. I have done something like that (I recorded Love and Freindship for LibriVox, and then rerecorded a new version for Audible) but that's different to having two versions running here. So, as Anne said, it would depend on the exact scenario.
Cori,
In reply to the first part, I was thinking the same thing! :D If someone, let's call it 'copied', my idea of an obscure, not-very-well-known book, I'd probably think the same thing (though I'd never tell them that) :lol: But if I did a more popular book (say The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, for example) and somebody else did it after me, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

In reply to the second part, as I have told Peter, I never noted that! Thanks, I will bear that in mind when I go to BC for the first time in a few months!

Thank you for your input!