I would like to read the books of Jane Austen in hebrew. Is it possible or there is a problem of copy rights? Brcause of

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ya67

Post by ya67 »

:clap: Yael
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi Yael! (That's my middle name! :D)

Before anyone can confirm copyright status of a translation, we'd need to know exactly which translation you plan to use. Have you found a copy online? If so, can you link to it so someone here can take a look?

Current US copyright law states that all works published before 1923 are in the public domain. That's your best bet. There are some later works that are public domain, but that is usually a special case and not easy to verify. We have to follow US law because LibriVox is hosted in the US. In addition, if you're in a different country, you'll need to check your own country's copyright laws as well. Many countries follow a rule of a certain number of years (either 50 or 70) after the author's death. For a translation, you'd also have to wait until that same time period after the death of the translator.

I hope this helps. :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I think you are going to have a problem - translations of texts get a new copyright from their publication date, so for example, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen in Hebrew; translated by Shoshana Shrayra, was published in 1952. This means it is still under copyright in the USA, since the publication date is after 1922. You need to find a translation published before 1923 to be in the public domain.