Golden Name Day

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sanfordrenee

Post by sanfordrenee »

Hello! My username is sanfordrenee. I have recorded radio spots that have aired on 900+ stations across the U.S. Recently, I confirmed the public domain status of the book Golden Name Day, have recorded it, had it professionally edited, and would like to explore contributing it to Librivox.org. I was asked to post here to see if someone might confirm that my recordings meet LibriVox's standards and, if so, then help me upload it. Any such help would be *greatly* appreciated!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

It looks like it was published in 1955. How did you confirm it's in the public domain? From my researches, it appears to still be under copyright.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

A note: All LibriVox recordings must be in the public domain (e.g., published on or before 1923).

Thanks,
~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It's actually pre 1923 mostly.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Oh thank you, I have seen a couple books in the public domain published in 1923. But you're right, it is mostly before then.
Thanks,
~JayKitty76
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The automatic cut off is 1922 or earlier, but there are odd exceptions in USA law, and so anything post that date need careful checking.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

annise wrote: ↑September 26th, 2018, 2:41 pm The automatic cut off is 1922 or earlier, but there are odd exceptions in USA law, and so anything post that date need careful checking.

Anne
Thank you, I didn't know that. I'll check all my projects very carefully from now on.

Thanks,

~JayKitty76
sanfordrenee

Post by sanfordrenee »

Yes, Golden Name Day is in the public domain. That is, the text is in the public domain. The copyright of the artwork, however, was renewed and is still in force. The other two books in the series are still under copyright.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

sanfordrenee wrote: ↑September 28th, 2018, 11:54 am Yes, Golden Name Day is in the public domain. That is, the text is in the public domain.
If you'd like to read it, you need to proof that it is in PD.
The most secure way usually is via gutenberg.org; but I think it is fine, too, if you have other proof like the titel and verso of a book if you have an edition in real paper. In that case your PL needs to have access to the book, too, the both of you must read from the same source :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The PL doesn't have to have the source text if it's a standard PL.

But yes, we'd need gutenberg.org copyright clearance for something like this (a book published in 1924 or later). Here's their wiki page for how to do this: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:Copyright_Confirmation_How-To
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

TriciaG wrote: ↑September 28th, 2018, 2:20 pm The PL doesn't have to have the source text if it's a standard PL.
Sorry; I am so used to read along that I always forget that :oops: