Questions about my audiobook player - PalmABooks 2 integration with LibriVox

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Przeglo

Post by Przeglo »

I am creator of PalmABooks 2 audiobook player (and deprecated PalmABooks) for android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.palmabooks.palmabooks2).
I have included support for fetching data from LibriVox(using API) in order to present user data about available audiobooks, however I use my server to cache responses.

So basically I copy all data using API page by page and then I am serving it.
1. May I do it (AKA Are there any law issues)?
2. How often and how many requests per seconds may I perform?

I will also be very happy if you would try my app and give me any suggestion about feature or report some bug. I have created it some time ago because other apps were lacking some features or weren't good enough for me. I hope it will make LibriVox even more popular and therefore help in process of finding volunteers.

Thanks,
Przeglo
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Przeglo,
1. May I do it (AKA Are there any law issues)?
All Librivox recordings are in the Public Domain, do there are no legal issues with using them.
2. How often and how many requests per seconds may I perform?
There is not an official limit, yet. Librivox publishes an average of 3 new books (87 during the month of August) since you are using a cache to maintain API responses, you should only need to update that about once a day.

I do not have an Android device to test your app on.

David O
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Our recordings are copyright free in the USA - most if not all other countries have different rules.

Anne
kayray

Post by kayray »

And please make it very clear to your users that your app is not a LibriVox creation, and that they must ask YOU for help and support, not us. Thank you!

(We get a lot of tech support/complaint email about problems with the many apps out there)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)