how to start?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Lvan

Post by Lvan »

Hello,
My 1 minute test has been approved, so I'm ready for the next step. I thought I would pick something short to start with, so started looking at this list:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58271
But the note at the top seems to say the list was created in 2015, so I'm not sure whether these are all still unrecorded.
Is it best to go to the Gutenberg site and find something there? Should I then compare the title with titles already recorded and posted on Librivox? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Liz
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Liz,

The most recommended way to start is to participate in a collection or a group project. The simplest I can think of is the weekly poem (this week's one is here). Check out other threads/projects in that forum.

Once you get your feet wet enough in claiming/recording/editing/prepping for the project/uploading/posting with links, you might find it easier to let others handle the project and only provide your voice. Doing a solo is a tiny bit more involved, and of course you are most welcome to also do that, but I'd suggest practicing a bit before trying it.

If you want to get the feel of a longer piece, try "Readers Wanted: books", where chapters are usually longer than short stories or poems, and often you might want to claim several at a time.

Good luck!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you look at the list, you'll see that although the first post is dated 2015 at the top, at the end it says it was last edited August 2018. but yes you always need to check the info is up to date yourself. But you can record something already recorded though many readers prefer not to. If you are planning on recording for the ghost and horror collection, a short story is quite a good first recording.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I'd recommend looking in the Readers Wanted forum- it has all sorts of books you can start with. It's here if you are interested:

viewforum.php?f=2

And also, the Dramatic Works is also fun- you can claim major or minor roles, depending on what you want. Just look at the text links in the MW to get a preview of what the character role you're interested in will say. Here's the link:

viewforum.php?f=27

Hope this helps,
~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~