Mic Static

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter »

Hello,

I just received my microphone, not a high quality one, but wanted to have something other than the microphone that is inside my computer.

It's a Zaffiro condenser mic. There is a lot of static when I listen to my recordings. Was wondering if there is a way to get rid of that or do I just need to purchase a better microphone?

Appreciate any advice and help

Thank you
Amber
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello Amber,

Sorry, "a lot of static" does not give enough information. Please record a few seconds (both with speaking and just room noise), export your track as FLAC (highest quality) and upload to xx-nonproject so we can actually listen to it ourselves. Then post the link the uploader gives you.

Make sure your microphone is actually selected in your recording software (which is what, BTW?) Also, how do you listen? Do you use headphones or the computer speakers?

CORRECTION: Please upload your sample to 'tests - tests' folder (not xx-nonproject)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter »

Hello,

I have been working on recordings all day with this microphone. It's made by Zaffiro, a 3.5 upgrade condenser mic that plugs into the computer.

I will be making a recording with it either tonight or tomorrow and upload it. Appreciate the info about exporting the track as FLAC, I've been uploading it as MP3.

The microphone I'm using is selected and I listen to it both ways, headphones and computer speakers. When I listen with the computer speakers, it doesn't have static.

Since this message, I have been working with it and cleaned it up with the tools in Audacity, but there is still a slight buzzing. Not sure if that is because I have the microphone too close to the computer. So I am going to try some changes.

Thanks for the help
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I will be making a recording with it either tonight or tomorrow and upload it. Appreciate the info about exporting the track as FLAC, I've been uploading it as MP3.
For this specific purpose, tovarisch requested a FLAC. For test and regular recordings, use MP3. :)
It's made by Zaffiro, a 3.5 upgrade condenser mic that plugs into the computer.
That's a round plug, not a flat/USB plug, correct?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
tatjupiter

Post by tatjupiter »

yes it's a round plug, jack input
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

The reason to have it in the FLAC format is that nothing is lost to compression (FLAC is a lossless format). There is nothing special about exporting in FLAC form, just pick "Export Audio..." instead of "Export as MP3" in the "File" menu, select "FLAC Files" in the "Save as type" dropdown, and choose best quality (level 8), bits probably don't matter.

Your microphone is an analog one (probably an electret condenser), relying on the computer's built-in audio interface to amplify the signal and convert it to the digital form (via an analog-to-digital converter, ADC). It's often the case that an internal computer audio interface, being built into the motherboard, is subject to electrical interference from the rest of the computer, and just isn't of high enough quality, so it has internal noise which ends up added to the signal when the ADC gets it.

It's not a big deal when it comes to talking to somebody using Skype or some other audio software. It's not such a big deal as far as LV is concerned either. You can try to use Noise Reduction effect to get rid of most of it, I am sure. See this wiki page for more information.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please