Am I too loud?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

My audio isn't staying in the proper range in audacity. It's jumping up past 1.0 and distorting. I'm not sure how to fix it. I appreciate any suggestions! :help:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Hello SiaBoBia,

Can you give us a bit more information? What equipment? OS? Can you record a sample? Don't try to make it happen (or prevent it from happening), just record as usual. When you noticed that happening, what were you recording? Did it start OK? How long did it take to get to the point when it went beyond the set level?

Please also examine the "Sound Properties" (if you have it and know how to get to it), and check if your microphone's driver has "Automatic Gain Control" turned on. If so, turn it off.

If you can record a sample that starts OK and then gradually turns too loud, note your position with relation to the microphone and any room noise happening at the time (both at the beginning and at the end of the recording). I am not putting the blame on you, mind, although I noticed it in some of my own recordings that they sometimes tend to get louder as I progress through the piece, especially if it's long.

Do not alter the sample in any way before uploading it. We need to have it raw. Export as MP3, upload to 'xx-nonproject' and post a link.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please