Help! [Answered]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »

I am getting frustrated. I did my 1-minute test, even read 1 very short chapter and it was posted but evidently my volume is still too low. I have recorded short pieces several times (my input volume is as high as it will go), high-lighted, tried to amplify, moved the mic around but it seems the only way I can get it within the right range is if I virtually scream. The more things I try, it seems the worse it gets. i don't know what else to try. Maybe I should go back to the 1-minute test? Appreciate any help! njgorgen :(
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

One of the possible causes of it is that your microphone's driver (properties) has "Automatic Gain Control" turned on. If you can find something in your sound properties, that looks like "AGC" or "Autolevel" or some such, try turning it off.

Generally speaking, the need to amplify each time is not such a bad thing. If your volume (which you can measure using 'Checker', see this wiki page) is just a few decibel below the required range, then the quality has not suffered too much, and you simply select the entire track and use Effect -> Amplify... to get to 89. A reasonable alternative is to use ReplayGain plugin (see this wiki page).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Try pushing your recording volume up a notch (this works in Audacity). I had the same problem until I figured out that I needed to heighten the recording volume. Try putting it to 100% and see what happens.
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

What kind of mic are you using? If it is a condenser mic with a cartoid pattern, double check that it is facing in the right direction. :)
Jo
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I think Nancy has figured it out and just forgot that she ever posted about this problem... :lol:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes I see now this was an old thread with a new post. :roll:
Jo
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: ↑November 24th, 2018, 6:14 pm Yes I see now this was an old thread with a new post. :roll:
Oops, sorry about that :oops:
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~