hi [Do I need software?]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
shevaunhodge

Post by shevaunhodge »

Hi am thinking about buying a digital recorder. Would i still need to download the computer software? and also is the sorfware free?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes and yes . You can record with a digital recorder but you also need to be able to edit the files and I don't know of one that does .

Anne
loon

Post by loon »

One good thing about a digital recorder is the ability to record somewhere quiet.

If you don’t have any preference about audio editing software I recommend Audacity - if only because so many people here use it so you should be able to get quick answers in this forum if you have questions/problems. Phil C has made a bunch of video tutorials on editing for LibriVox using Audacity. Audacity is available for Windows, Mac, Linux (and others).

I see there are audio editing apps for phones/tablets but I would find them horrible:
- fat fingers
- I always want to keep a window open with the text while I edit. Too often I’ll read the hero DID something when the book says DIDN’T. Oops! That will rip a hole in the plot.

Good luck and happy reading.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

In the LibriVox wiki there are links where you can download Audacity (which is what most volunteers use here) and LAME. Audacity records the sound, transferring them into soundwaves, and enables you to edit afterwards if you save a .AUP file of it. LAME transfers the sound files into .mp3 files when you export it, so that's very helpful as you can only upload in LibriVox with .mp3 files. Here's a link to downloading Audacity, as from the wiki:

http://web.audacityteam.org/download/

And here's where you can download LAME:

https://lame.buanzo.org/#lamewindl

I use both and they are both virus-free software good for recording.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~